Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Questions

Cjblackmon

Is the STI Edge 40 legal (fit in the box) for "Standard" Division with a shorter magazine pad? If not what is a comparable next choice in gun for IPSC?

How does one get Classified in IPSC, are there any local matches in the US?

What is the difference between "Open" and the "Modified" Divisions?

I was thinking of shooting the Ecuador Open and the Columbus Cup in Panama next year wanted to know what gear and preparation I needed to do so. I think it would make a good shooting vacation.

Open is nearly identical to USPSA Open (slighty different power factor and they have a mnimum bullet weight, which translates into not being allowed to use 115g bullets).

Modified is a whole different thing. It is rather goofy, IMO, and has little following. They allow porting/comps and optic sights...as long as all that and a mag fit into their box. And, the gun needs to be 40 caliber to make Major. Here is the coolest looking one modified division gun: http://www.sviguns.com/swpn/swpn.html (It has some CDI fator, but it has little use outside of IPSC Modified division...which few shoot.)

Is the STI Edge 40 legal (fit in the box) for "Standard" Division with a shorter magazine pad? If not what is a comparable next choice in gun for IPSC?

The Edge fits the box. Keep in mind that it also depends on you magwell. STI sells IPSC-legal magwells. Saul Kirsch also has a very cool one on www.doublealpha.biz (the asymetrical one)

You will also need different magtubes, because the 140mm tubes will be too long for the box.

IPSC standard is a cool division with simple rules:

1) Fit the box in ready condition

2) No comps, ports or optics

3) .40 or bigger at 170PF for major

4) Holster and pouches behind the hipbone

Edited by spook

I did a mini-IPSC classifier match when I and some others wanted to get classified for an international match we were going to (turns out they didn't use classifications until the next year, but them's the breaks..)

What I did was find a classifer that was both used by USPSA and IPSC (all the IPSC classifiers have a 'Metric' target version, and many came directly from the USPSA book). I set that as the classifier stage and some other IPSC classifiers up at the match as general stages. Anybody that wanted an IPSC classification, I saved their scoresheets after the match and later entered them into WinMSS since that's what IPSC uses (note: WinMSS requires 10 shooters for a 'match', so grab at least 10 shooters worth of sheets regardless-- you don't have to pay for them if they don't want classifications)

Then you rescore the match using WinMSS, click the checky-box next to "I want an IPSC classification" (it's called something else, but you get the idea), give IPSC your credit card and upload away. A few $ later and you've got a spiffy IPSC classification online (it's almost instant-- no waiting a month) and nothing else to show for it until you win a class medal ;)