Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok To Ask Shooter...

rtr

If the competitor states his intentions, that's fine. I still watch closely and react accordingly. As an RO, I never ask the competitor which way he's turning, or running, or what. And, as long as whatever they do stays within the confines of the rules and the course description, we're good to go.

I get asked this question a lot in level one classes: "Should I ask which way he's turning?" (on uprange starts). My answer is always "No". It doesn't make any difference, really, because about 50% of the time, the competitor changes his mind. And, if he's going to have a brain fade and draw while facing uprange, well, that's a whole 'nother situation.

Troy

If the competitor states his intentions, that's fine. I still watch closely and react accordingly. As an RO, I never ask the competitor which way he's turning, or running, or what. And, as long as whatever they do stays within the confines of the rules and the course description, we're good to go.

I get asked this question a lot in level one classes: "Should I ask which way he's turning?" (on uprange starts). My answer is always "No". It doesn't make any difference, really, because about 50% of the time, the competitor changes his mind. And, if he's going to have a brain fade and draw while facing uprange, well, that's a whole 'nother situation.

Troy

Plus 1 Troy. :)

Jay

I don't mind being asked. But it's not in the range commands that we must adhere to. ... it doesn't matter which way he turns if he points a gun beyond 180 it's DQ.

As a shooter i try to help the RO's as much as I can. and i ask other shooters to do the same. I shot a club match which had a zig zag pattern.. advance down range and then move at a slight angle back up range.. a reload/180 break trap.. so the RO tried to stay over the righthanded shooters right side so he didn't look down the barrel of the gun. well a precariously placed windmill made me decided to turn back around and engage it on about the 170 degree mark from 35 yards away. I stated to the RO (not very experienced) what i was going to do and where he needed to be... sadly he wasn't there i turn around and swing the gun. To see my kind RO in front of my targets... ( i stoppped the gun before it got there) and asked for a reshoot... after a brief description of RO interferance and him getting the color back in his face i got the reshoot. which i didn't shoot as well on.

Maybe we need to have this in the range commands as most RO's can't keep up with A or above shooters.... action is faster than reaction. Though a lot of times shooters will run through the stage and you can see as an RO where they will go and what they will do. Good reason for mr. RO to pay attention to the walthrough time.

just some thoughts. anyone have suggestions how we can fix this delima?

I don't mind being asked. But it's not in the range commands that we must adhere to. ... it doesn't matter which way he turns if he points a gun beyond 180 it's DQ.

As a shooter i try to help the RO's as much as I can. and i ask other shooters to do the same. I shot a club match which had a zig zag pattern.. advance down range and then move at a slight angle back up range.. a reload/180 break trap.. so the RO tried to stay over the righthanded shooters right side so he didn't look down the barrel of the gun. well a precariously placed windmill made me decided to turn back around and engage it on about the 170 degree mark from 35 yards away. I stated to the RO (not very experienced) what i was going to do and where he needed to be... sadly he wasn't there i turn around and swing the gun. To see my kind RO in front of my targets... ( i stoppped the gun before it got there) and asked for a reshoot... after a brief description of RO interferance and him getting the color back in his face i got the reshoot. which i didn't shoot as well on.

Maybe we need to have this in the range commands as most RO's can't keep up with A or above shooters.... action is faster than reaction. Though a lot of times shooters will run through the stage and you can see as an RO where they will go and what they will do. Good reason for mr. RO to pay attention to the walthrough time.

just some thoughts. anyone have suggestions how we can fix this delima?

If the RO was ahead of your 180 he was too far forward. If he was far enough away to be "in front of your targets" (where you could have had him in your sights and not DQ), he was too far right as well. Nobody should be downrange when the shooter is shooting; this includes the RO.

It's an RO training issue. I know it's hard to do training and many of us get started with zero preparation, but if the RO is green, has bad habits, or doesn't understand the basics, the RO has to be corrected.

I have RO'd the fastest shooters in the game without difficulty and I am not exceptional. I don't agree that "most RO's" can't keep up with A class and above shooters. If most of the RO's you know can't, it could be that somewhere they are learning to stand 4+ feet away from the shooter in front of un-engaged target arrays. You must find who is teaching them to do this and stop them. ;)

Can't fix this situation with a range command since you told him your plan to start with, your story proves that. It sounds like you need more certified RO's and CRO's to mentor your new folks. Get half a dozen RO's and CRO's trained by Troy and this problem (as well as 99% of your course design problems) will go away.

B)