Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Break Sharp Corners On A Hard Chromed Gun?

chp5

I recently picked up an STI. It’s hard chromed. The rear of the frame - just behind the grip on the strong side and below thumb safety (where the arm of the ambi safety inserts) is somewhat sharp and bugs my hand.

I want to take my Dremel and round the corners of the frame in that area. I'm considering using a sanding wheel attachment. Will I mess up the hard chrome? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The hard chrome finish is hard, but very very thin. You'll cut right through to the raw steel beneath..... probably won't look that bad, at first but eventually the exposed areas will discolor or even rust. Usually the beveling and melting of edges is done before the plating job..... but hey its your gun. If you'd rather have comfortable, than pretty, go for it. ;)

After a gun is made, the finishing touches are important. Many "production" manufacturers do their assembly in "production lines", and dedicate minimum time to last minute details in their surface preparation prior to applying their final finish whether a plating or blueing. This is where the "custom 'smiths" shine, as time while being of the essence, is not as important as their reputation. This is also why you pay more to a custom 'smith: attention to 'small' details. A big name factory will let a small blemish go out of the door as "acceptable", but a custom 'smith will view the same as a "kiss of death".

Most "big time" production manufacturers do have a strict quality control department in place, but sometimes a little glitch can get away, like a sharp (to your taste) corner, an improperly heat treated part, machining marks, etc. Most of the big name manufacturers do also have their own "Custom Department", where for additional costs you can have your dream gun be born. And, believe me, these custom departments are usually very busy.

As for your intention to (shudder!!!!) take a dremel to your "corners"... it really makes me shake on my feet. Not because of the end results alone, but because you will leave the metal so worked, exposed to rusting. Nobody sells "touch-up hard chrome", unlike touch-up blue. Stripping and refinishing your parts in hard-chrome is expensive. But if you must ... then you must. Maybe now is the time to also go for those other little cosmetic changes you have always wanted but had no excuse to do? ;)B)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am a Glock guy at heart and really don't care about cosmetics :D After dry firing the STI for about an hour yesterday, that corner really started bugging me.

I took a wheel sander to the edge and it broke it nicely. It's much more comfotable now! It's shinier where the chrome is gone, but I'll just throw some oil on it from time to time.

I wouldn't think it's a big deal - some guys shoot their guns in the white for a while and nothing bad happens.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Who does 're-hardchroming'.. and how much does it cost (just for a slide)?

That usually depends on who does the job. You can PM any of the 'smiths that post here, or contact directly any reputable place that specializes in Hard-Chrome plating within your area. If you need a referral outside of your area, send me a PM, and I'll be glad to forward it.