Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay - so there's these bitchin' flashlights (as if I have to tell y'all that!) I need to know a couple of things - first - which type should I get. Apparently the LED's only last about an hour ?!?!

Has anybody been stopped from carrying one an airplane (the pointy topped ones :))

Okay - so there's these bitchin' flashlights (as if I have to tell y'all that!) I need to know a couple of things - first - which type should I get. Apparently the LED's only last about an hour ?!?!

Has anybody been stopped from carrying one an airplane (the pointy topped ones :))

I don't know if they make them anymore, but the Z3 really rocks. 3 cells for 120 lumens for an hour.

LED's have practically an infinite lifespan. Maybe the battery run time is only an hour, but you'll lose the flashlight before the LED croaks.

LED's have made huge strides, but the incandescent bulbs still rule the roost for power. The only downside to the 120 lumen + versions is that they're so bright with fresh batteries that it almost hurts your eyes at night, but then...that's sorta the point.

Howdy,

I have an L4 Digital Lumamax LED light. The batteries last a long time. The Xenon bulb light last about 1 hour per battery set. I use my LED light for work and usually just replace the batteries every week or two, if I remember. If I forget I usually notice the light dimming a bit. I would buy the same light again if I need another light.

As far as getting stopped boarding an airplane, I'll let y'all know in about two weeks.

Edited by Huston in Austin

If you want a cheap alternative, go to Wally Mart and pick up Brinkman Maxfire. It cost under $20 and batteries are included. The power output is a little less than the comparable Sure-fire when you use the stock batteries. Pretty much even if you put Sure-fire batteries in it. But at $20 who cares.

Another +1 for the Surefire L4. I bought one a few weeks ago and i have yet to change the batteries. I used it the other night for about 45min continous and then now and then since then. The light seems a little dimmer but its still enough to blind you. The factory rates the light at full output for 1 hour and another 2 hours of usable light.

Here is the link for the L4 LumaMax®

Edited by stingerjg

I don't believe the Z3 isn't made anymore but the Z2 is. The Z2 is my preferred carry light because it is all set up and ready to go for use in combination with a handgun utilizing your choice of techniques (which is probably a 100 post debate in and of itself).

My Z2 saved my butt last January and proved to me why these are worth their weight in gold.

A hoodlum approached me and asked for money to "buy formula for his kid". When I declined he got more insistent and took an agressive posture to the point where he was within 10 feet. He was then shown the bright end of the Surefire with the left hand while my right hand was busy drawing something else in case the light didn't have the desired effect.

He clutched at his eyes and staggered off into the night cursing me but quite obviously "blinded by the light". I seriously doubt that he bothered anyone else for at least an hour. Heck, I doubt he could SEE for at least an hour.

I no longer go out without my Surefire at night if I can help it.

I have taken my Z2 and Z3 on planes and not been questioned beyond being asked to show that light comes out the end. They do not have the nasty teeth however.

When I was at Scout camp many years ago, I walked into the campsite and someone triggered a flash bulb right in front of my face. I'd been walking in the dark, so my eyes were fully adjusted. They had to lead me to the picnic table so I could sit down. I couldn't see for at least fifteen minutes. That kind of light can take you totally out of it.

I wasn't trying to rob anybody, though.

I just came back from Germany with my 6P in my pocket. I still like the normal lights for brightness ---- I order batteries direct from Surefire, because they're cheap, and come in the handy 12 pack, for only $15. One box lives in the console of my truck, one's in my office, and I carry one of their spares carriers (six batteries surrounding 1 lightbulb in a water resistant package) in my computer bag.....

That pretty much solves the battery problem.....

I think LED's have gotten much better. specially with lithium batteries, and I have a couple of LED lights, but they tend to be my glove compartment lights. My EDC pocket light is incandecent. Personally I use a Streamlight Scorpion (my second) because it is one of the smallest 2cell CR123 powered lights, and they've given me good life. Thats not much wrong with any of the surefires, just pick the feature combo you like with a incandecent bulb over 60lumens.

The LED lights with either a 1w, 3w or 5w Luxeon LED are bright as hell. I've use my L4 almoast every day and carry it with me any time I'm wearing pants ;-) The only time I've been without it in the last couple of month is when I change belts to go to matches. I've got the light and a Gerber Multi-plier velcroed in place on my belt. Streamlight makes a model of the Scorpion with the Luxeon LED. The TL-2 & the TL-3 also have the Luxeon as well. The Streamlight Jr Luxeon LED is a nice little AA flash light a little bigger than a mini maglight as well.

Also you can find CR-123A batteries on line for around $1 apiece when ordered in qty.