Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need A Clean 9mm Load For Ipsc !

hal1955

I'm shooting a 9mm ipsc load of 124 grain fmj and 4.2 of titegroup for a pf of about 132 but the load is philthy !! and i mean philthy !! Lots of smoke and black residue eeywhere. Can anyone suggest a good clean powder that will make 132 pf with 124 grain ?

4.1gr Vithavouri N320 under a 124gr FMJ is a very clean target load that averages around 1,050 fps in my CZ. Other clean choices include 4.4 to 4.6 gr Universal, 5.8gr IMR 4756, and 4.9 gr Winchester Super Field. VV N340 is also clean but may have more velocity than you need for minor PF even at minimum load.

Chris

its not the best load by anymeans but it is the cleanest and it shoots pretty soft too.

Hodgdon CLAYS powder, Regular old clays. 3.6 grains and a 125 FMJ depending on the gun it may barely make the power factor, in my glock its at 129 pf. I think hodgdon shows a MAX load of 3.7 grains at around 1050 fps so be careful! Clays Can do some nasty things in small cases at high pressure.

Frankly your load is almost the same as mine, I use 4.3gr. I have no idea why your load is so dirty. TG does leave a fine residue, mostly around the muzzle, but it never gums up the gun. I shoot about 1000rd of this load between cleanings without problems. I wish I had a different load for you, but already have my load. Oh .. and I have NO smoke what so ever.

I almost wonder if you git a bum batch of powder

Frankly your load is almost the same as mine, I use 4.3gr. I have no idea why your load is so dirty. TG does leave a fine residue, mostly around the muzzle, but it never gums up the gun. I shoot about 1000rd of this load between cleanings without problems. I wish I had a different load for you, but already have my load. Oh .. and I have NO smoke what so ever.
This is my reaction too. My loads (4.2 grain TG, 125 grain Zero JHP, Fed 200 primers) don't smoke or leave noticeable residue in either my CZ-75B or Beretta Brigadier. Using the magnum primers may be the determining factor.

its not the best load by anymeans but it is the cleanest and it shoots pretty soft too.

Hodgdon CLAYS powder, Regular old clays. 3.6 grains and a 125 FMJ depending on the gun it may barely make the power factor, in my glock its at 129 pf. I think hodgdon shows a MAX load of 3.7 grains at around 1050 fps so be careful! Clays Can do some nasty things in small cases at high pressure.

What OAL are you using? I've got a lot of Clays on hand and would prefer to use it rather than go to TG

5.0 Grains of IMR 7625, MG 124 JHP, OAL=1.15 should yield around 1050 FPS. IMR 7625 is clean and very consistent. (It also works for 9mm Major)

• 5 months later...

Being new to reloading I haven't yet got to test a lot of different powders but shooting the Titegroup in my 9mm 1911 I do find it pretty dirty and smokey also compared to the CCI Blazers I normally shot before rolling my own. I do like the powder for it's softness and consistentcy though.

Being new to reloading I haven't yet got to test a lot of different powders but shooting the Titegroup in my 9mm 1911 I do find it pretty dirty and smokey also compared to the CCI Blazers I normally shot before rolling my own. I do like the powder for it's softness and consistentcy though.

Chrono that Blazer and I think it will show what's up. Blazer is pretty hot and probably burns it up. :D

• 1 month later...