Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help With 357 Load

Northern Xtreme

I need load data for a 357 magnum using Sierra 170 grain FMJ's and 180 grain cast bullets.

I just need to make major so around 1000+ fps with the 170 grain bullet and 950+ fps with the 180 grain bullet.

I need a clean burning powder so I dont have problems with the revolver.

Thanks,

Paul

Blue Dot, 2400, H110/296, SR 4756, IMR or H 4227, AA #7, Accurate #9, Longshot, Lil'Gun and um.. those are all a good start to keep pressures down and velocity up for the 357 Magnum. I think Vitt Has some Magnum propellants, but I don't know what the number would be. I'd imagine they are clean but I have no experience with them.

Vince

Paul - Strangely enough, the new Unique burns very cleanly at those pressures. I use it for my 158 grain RNLs (6.8 grains/Fed 200 primer) with virtually no powder anywhere - shot a major match last summer with this load without brushing out the cylinder. It goes ~1100 fps from a 4" gun.

Alliant shows max loads of 6.8 grains for 170 FMJs and 7.0 grains for 180 grain JFPs, both with Fed 200 primers. They may or may not make the PF from your gun. Just another option...

Edited by revchuck

Power Pistol!!!!! It will make the power you want with sane pressures, and is dead clean. Pressures should be plenty low to keep the cases falling out easily. No need for magnum primers, so the Federals a light sprung gun likes will be just fine. It isn't position sensitive or temperature sensitive either. It really is a fantastic powder.

Unique would be a good choice with the lead bullets, especially if Power Pistol leads the barrel a little.

Blue Dot gets NASTY without much warning up near the top of the data. It is also quite temperature and position sensitive. Blue Dot has a very narrow band where it works well, in that band it is hard to beat but the band is so narrow it becomes hard to find a use for Blue Dot that something else won't work better in.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming.

The slow buring powders like 296, H110 etc are not what I am looking for, I use them in my full house magnum loads but they are dangerous to download. Remember I am only looking for 1000 fps.

I am looking for a fast burning powder load that is not case sensative.

I may try the unique, I think I may try some titegroup also.

I would really like to hear if anyone has actually got any chrono data from loads like this.

Thanks again,

Paul

IIRC Speer had some data Utilizing Blue Dot and 2400 with a 180 attaining a velocity of 1100 fps. I'll have to go home and look at my manual and I'll edit this post later when I get home. It was from an earlier manual though, I think Speer # 11. The Blue Dot data may not Jibe now since between then and now the formulation for Blue dot changed (Plant explosion in the 90's). It should get you in the ballpark though.

I'll follow up later today.

Vince