Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Tactical 5.0

Genghis

From looking at the STI Tactical 5.0, it sounds like a great Limited gun. Apart from cosmetic differences, it looks like an Edge with a light rail. Comes in .40, magwell included, ambi thumb safety, Recoilmaster, and same weight as an Edge.

The only downsides I can see is that the stock sight is not adjustable, and sticker price is higher.

Plus it says "Tactical" right there on the side! What's not to love? Would this work as well as an Edge for Limited?

From looking at the STI Tactical 5.0, it sounds like a great Limited gun. ...

The only downsides I can see is that the stock sight is not adjustable, and sticker price is higher.

Plus it says "Tactical" right there on the side! What's not to love? Would this work as well as an Edge for Limited?

You better be careful! If that gun says tactical on it you may find yourself being followed by mall ninjas and vest wearers! :ph34r::lol:

-ld

I figure IDPA will have to let me shoot it, even though it has a bull barrel, magwell, and other non-Kosher stuff. After all, it says "Tactical" so it must be okay. It would be a FTDR for an RO to exclude it.

I'll bet you are fine with fixed sights...a lot of people are. If they don't work out...

You might find out what rear sight cut they use. I think it is a Novak cut, and I think STI's new adjustable sight is made to fit that cut (but, I'd check if that is important to you).

The website lists the Tactical Adjustable Rear Sight as a $54 option on the gun, and it says that both it and the fixed sight use a Novak cut. So I think I'll be okay if I want to switch.

• 2 months later...

I have an STI Tactical 5" that I use for police duty. I also shoot it in Limited USPSA.

I have the TAS (tactical adjustable sight) and it works very well. I have no other STI's to compare it to, but it shoots very well. The trigger is a bit heavy for USPSA, around 5.5 pounds, but it can be adjusted by a gunsmith if you wish to do so.

Redwoods

So far I've shot mine in three USSPA matches with no gun hiccups. I'm very happy except for one thing. The hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, and slide release tend to start rusting very quickly. You'd think that STI would put a better finish on a duty gun.

I haven't measured the trigger pull, but it's crisp and not too stiff.

So far I've shot mine in three USSPA matches with no gun hiccups. I'm very happy except for one thing. The hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, and slide release tend to start rusting very quickly. You'd think that STI would put a better finish on a duty gun.

I haven't measured the trigger pull, but it's crisp and not too stiff.

I have had problems with factory winchester 180gr flat point ammo when I first started shooting it. I would get it to feed into the chamber only slightly. I would then smack the magazine and then it would fully feed. I thought the recoilmaster was not heavy enough to feed the bullet into the gun, but it only happened about every tenth shot.

I started shooting it with reloaded 185gr rnfp ammo and it fed right every time. I just started shooting the winchester 180gr fp ammo again and it hung up only about once every hundred rounds. I guess it just needed to be broken in. I use slide glide on all the moving parts. It is good stuff.

The STI site says 5.5 pounds on the trigger, but I think I measured mine at around 4.6 to 4.8 if I am not mistaken. It is crisp. The slide is very smooth also.

Redwoods