Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wouldn't Cha' Know It...

haras

Wouldn't you know it! I pull my side plate off to clean and find that the trigger pin has sheared. Works fine with the side plate on. My main match this year is less than 2 weeks away and I'm faced with shipping my "A" gun to Smith. :(

I have it boxed, plan to call them first thing in the morning and beg for fast service ( I know that will cost), ship it Fedex next day and ask them to send it back the same. What kind of response do you think I'll get? This is the first time I 've had to do this. :unsure:

I had a 686 sent in for repair, they picked it up at the house on a wednesday and it was back in perfect order the very next tuesday along with a detailed note of what they did. What was funny was I got a letter the next day detailing what they were planning on doing to fix the revolver. Didn't ask for it quickly or anything, just was.

Had a 625 that was getting throw-bys. Went to Smith 3 times and they never got it right.

Wound up selling it because I was so mad. Go to a good revolver guy and avoid the factory!

I too have been underwhelmed by S&W repair work. They replaced a cylinder for me adjusted to include an interference fit with the forcing cone and way over spec end shake.

They did turn it around pretty quick, it just took me a month or so to figure out why it wouldn't run and how to fix it. :angry:

Oh, but the guy I talked to on the phone had over 30 years experience and certainly didn't need to hear any of my crap about what the gun needed.

Had a 625 that was getting throw-bys. Went to Smith 3 times and they never got it right.

Wound up selling it because I was so mad. Go to a good revolver guy and avoid the factory!

That was my original problem. The 30 year veteran of S&W repairs couldn't understand my problems with throw by because the gun "worked" with a new cylinder stop. He just couldn't fathom that I was using up new cylinder stops because the slots in the cylinder were peened. I finally told them to just put a new cylinder in the gun and they sent it back "fixed".

I worked on the B gun's trigger tonight and it's now as good as the A gun. Called in a favor (read begged) and my machinist will put me up front and bob the B gun's barrel to 5" by Tuesday. Heh..heh, B'wana...We're back! :D:D

{mumble...mumble...damn race guns...}

After the state match I still need to have the A gun fixed. Is there anyone other than Smith who can replace the trigger stub?

Glenn, I have had two guns (686 and 610) with broken trigger pins. Send it to SW. They have a jig and fixture to fix them, and they look good when they come back. Most smiths I talked to didnt want to do the job as they didnt have the right tools/fixtures or hadnt done it before. For every internet Horror story you hear there are more positives than negative, Usually...... :D

DougC

I worked on the B gun's trigger tonight and it's now as good as the A gun. Called in a favor (read begged) and my machinist will put me up front and bob the B gun's barrel to 5" by Tuesday. Heh..heh, B'wana...We're back! :D:D

After the state match I still need to have the A gun fixed. Is there anyone other than Smith who can replace the trigger stub?

Check your e mail.

Regards,

Gary

Glenn, I have had two guns (686 and 610) with broken trigger pins. Send it to SW. They have a jig and fixture to fix them, and they look good when they come back. Most smiths I talked to didnt want to do the job as they didnt have the right tools/fixtures or hadnt done it before. For every internet Horror story you hear there are more positives than negative, Usually...... :D

DougC

<_<

If they put in a Crowned Stud it shouldn't take long. But, the crowned stud will be noticable as a dimpled pin on the left side. If you like the way it's set up, tell them to replace the stud only. And that you need it back for a big match.

If you want it done as original they can solder them in and it'll look like new. BUT, if it's a blued gun they will have to refinish it then. That takes the time. If it's a SS model, don't know what the refinish time is, shouldn't be long as it should just be a polish job, but?

The crowned stud doesn't require refinishing.

I've had a M29 done without the crowned stud and a M28 with the crowned stud. Can't say as I have a preference.

P.S. if it's not too old, S&W may pay to have it shipped in.

Edited by pskys2

Did you beg successfully? Is the "B" gun going to be ready in time? I don't want you to have any built in excuses :P:D:P

I called S & W last week to find out how long it would take them to replace the firing pin bushing in my 625-3. They told me it would take eight weeks. I was also interested Peformance Center (express - 5 day turnaround) trigger job. I asked if the firing pin bushing could be replaced while they were doing the express trigger job. They said they couldn't do that and the job would still take eight weeks.

I brought it to a local smith instead and had Brownell's send the part to him via overnight mail. The smith noticed a timing issue while examining the gun and I also ordered an oversized hand for him to fit.

If all else is equal, I'll support the local 'smiths.

Chris

I called S & W last week to find out how long it would take them to replace the firing pin bushing in my 625-3.

OK, now I'm curious.....why does the firing pin bushing need replaced?

Firing pin bushing need to be replaced because it became recessed behind recoil plate causing primers to back out and bind the cylinder. I understand that it's an uncommon problem. Here's the thread from S & W Forum that explains the diagnosis. I assume it was just wear and tear.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee/forum...04/m/2941097031

Chris

I called S & W last week to find out how long it would take them to replace the firing pin bushing in my 625-3. They told me it would take eight weeks. I was also interested Peformance Center (express - 5 day turnaround) trigger job. I asked if the firing pin bushing could be replaced while they were doing the express trigger job. They said they couldn't do that and the job would still take eight weeks.

I brought it to a local smith instead and had Brownell's send the part to him via overnight mail. The smith noticed a timing issue while examining the gun and I also ordered an oversized hand for him to fit.

If all else is equal, I'll support the local 'smiths.

Chris

I think that's an excellent policy if you can find a local guy to work with. They're just rare as hen's teeth.