Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Helpful Be'rs

lynn jones

i was planning on rain at our section match this year in august. so i thougt i'd prep some targets with varnish or something and remembered there was an article in the 'Front Sight' magazine. i noticed a post by bruce gary and thought it was he that wrote the aritcle. so i PM'd him. he replies fast and says it wasn't him. he offered to call the HQ and see if they had the article for me. then he emails me and says that it was article was written by robert woolley sept/oct of 03 and might be able to email me a copy.

how cool is that!

thanks bruce! :D

lynn

p.s. well since i'm so needy, :lol: who makes those step on activators?

He is one of "them" after all.

<in my best Marlon Brando voice> ".... Some day, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day ...."

<laughing>

Glad to help!!!

B

FWIW...I have used this method very successfully for some local matches. The biggest fault with the whole method is that you have to actually plan ahead.

Pasters still stick just fine although you may need to blot the target face dry to tape it if it is real wet. Not a problem...as long as you have something to dry with.

I also found that sealing the top edge with target tape really helped them last even longer. That way rain didn't penetrate and damage them from the inside out. But it realllly takes a lot of extra time to do all of this. Might not be worth it for local matches.

FWIW...I have used this method very successfully for some local matches. The biggest fault with the whole method is that you have to actually plan ahead.

Pasters still stick just fine although you may need to blot the target face dry to tape it if it is real wet. Not a problem...as long as you have something to dry with.

I also found that sealing the top edge with target tape really helped them last even longer. That way rain didn't penetrate and damage them from the inside out. But it realllly takes a lot of extra time to do all of this. Might not be worth it for local matches.

thanks kimel,

i wouldn't do this for a club match. hell, i would show up for a local match if it was raining! :lol: thanks for the tip on taping the top edge.

thanks kathy for the link

lynn

I only did it for the club match because I wanted to test-drive the technique. I sure wouldn't do it normally for a club match. Although we do shoot in darn near anything.

Hi Lynn,

We spray ours with thinned down clear automotive laquer. The targets wind up a shade darker than they originally were but they shed water really well and the best thing is that they actually become a little sticky when wet so pasters stick to them like they do on dry targets. They also hold up fairly well. One of our club members owns a commercial paint sprayer so we sprayed a couple hundred in preparation for our state match last year. It didn't rain so we just stacked them in a special area and now have them ready to go the next time we need them.

John

Nice.

But I am still suspicious of Mr. Gary and his motives. He is one of "them" after all.

:lol:

Are you talking about the USPSA Board of Directors or that he works for MicroSoft? :D

Oh yeah, and that too.

:ph34r:

Hi Lynn,

We spray ours with thinned down clear automotive laquer. The targets wind up a shade darker than they originally were but they shed water really well and the best thing is that they actually become a little sticky when wet so pasters stick to them like they do on dry targets. They also hold up fairly well. One of our club members owns a commercial paint sprayer so we sprayed a couple hundred in preparation for our state match last year. It didn't rain so we just stacked them in a special area and now have them ready to go the next time we need them.

John

thank john,

thats what we'll do if it doesn't rain.

two years ago with the rain in jackson, i thought your target held up great! better than condoms.

lynn