Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Short Colt Loads?

dannepang

Im looking for loads for 38 Short Colt for my S&W 686, .357 magnum.

What do you use? Im gonna use it for IPSC:-)

The powder I have is: VV N-310, VV N230, Vectan BA10, Vectan BA09.

If i look in Vectan Ba09 the are loads for both 9x19 and 38 Special. Im thinking of start loads with 4,0 grains Ba09 for 125 JHP. Does it sounds crazy?

I've been shooting 3 grains of Red Dot with a 158 grn lead bullet. Sorry, not what you've asked about but according to Vithavouri the burn rate is the same as N320.

I'm interested in seeing other people's suggestions. Love the .38 Short and I've experimented for years but have eliminated a lot of powders.

I've been shooting 3 grains of Red Dot with a 158 grn lead bullet. Sorry, not what you've asked about but according to Vithavouri the burn rate is the same as N320.

I'm interested in seeing other people's suggestions. Love the .38 Short and I've experimented for years but have eliminated a lot of powders.

All suggestions are interesting, Do you shoot IPSC? What is the PF for your load?

Maybe i should get some Red Dot powder.

Yes, this is my IPSC load. 814 fps with the 158 giving me a PF of 128568. Haven't had any trouble with poppers with this load. Be advised though it is 10 % over the maximum load listed in the RCBS Reloading Manual.

Also this was chronographed out of a 5 inch barrel on my 627. I'm hoping with my new 6 inch I can lower the charge just a bit and be within limits.

For ICORE 2.85 grains makes the 120000 PF.

Thought I'd better mention the the OAL is 1.16 ". I seat out past the grease groove for a little better accuracy. If you seat shorter you will probably bet better velocity but will experience hard extraction and flattened primers.

Edited by AzShooter

I would recommend using the 9x19 load data, but reduce it by 10-15% and Chrono up to what you need. VV320 would be the safe powder to use, and if you are an experienced loader(know what danger signs to look for...) then you can try the VV310. Using the 9x19 OAL I wouldnt load over a 135-140 PF with 115-125-130 bullets with the VV310, but you will be OK with the VV320. I have no experience with the other powders. Make sure you check for sticky extraction with the loads as well as checking the primer sign.

Go slow and you will find what you are looking for!

Regards,

DougC

I've tried 4.6 gr of Universal Clays under a Berry's 125 gr HP. This is for Mrs. Airedale's 4" 586. This load keyholes badly and only runs about 900 FPS (sub minor).

I have a bunch of 158 gr RN lead and am going to try AZShooters Red Dot load.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Since changing to a 6 inch barrel a new problem has come up with my .38 short colt loads. The primer pockets are deforming enough that every 7 to 10 primers gets bent going in. The cases are also much harder to extract then with the standard 5 inch barrel.

Definate signs of over pressure. I didn't see any of these with the standard 5 inch barrel. For now I'll shoot my regular 38 loads and then order new brass for the 38 short colt.

• 1 year later...

At last i found a good load for 38 Short Colt.

Used 6,5 grains 3N37VV. H&N 158 grains Hollow Point, OAL 31 mm. The speed between the slowest and fastest load was 347m/s and 355 m/s (1138 fps 1164 fps) No problem with major factor:-) Only problem is unburned powder, not much but enough to make an fast reload to be an slow..

Im gonna buy some N350VV and make some loads to see if it can be better..

From left: 9x19, 38 Short Colt, 38 Special

IMGP3110.jpg

IMGP3107.jpg

IMGP3109.jpg

25m free two hand shooting:

IMGP3093.jpg

Edited by dannepang

dannepang

Did you try the N350 powder yet?

What barrel length did you test and was it ported?

Also since your loading long to avoid pressure wouldn't you do better with the Long Colt case? some IRC guys said the had very good results with the Short Colt case and 170gr LRN bullets from Bear Creek using a slow powder I think in the burn range of Universal Clays. I sent an email to a friend who has the details.

dannepang

Did you try the N350 powder yet?

What barrel length did you test and was it ported?

Also since your loading long to avoid pressure wouldn't you do better with the Long Colt case? some IRC guys said the had very good results with the Short Colt case and 170gr LRN bullets from Bear Creek using a slow powder I think in the burn range of Universal Clays. I sent an email to a friend who has the details.

Now i have loaded 38 Short Colt with 5,7 grains N350VV. It works very well. I had no cronograph this time, but i think major is no problem. The only thing is that after 5 shots the 6 round had travel a little bit out of the brass, I have tried more crimp but it seems to happen now too. The bullet i use is H&N copperplated.

In my case the reason to load them long is to avoid free escape..

Shooting S&W 686 with 6" barrel, not ported.

Next project is to try 200gr bullets load..

Just wondering if anybody here has tried a heavy bullet like a 170 grain LRN Bear Creek bullet and slow powder like Vectan AO? I'm trying to work up a 125-130PF. Most everything I've researched here on the subject indicated people are staying with a lighter bullet 125-130gr and faster powder.

Also wondering if an EGW undersizing 9mm die would be needed?

Has anybody tried a 38 Super bullet in a Short Colt?

rw, I routinely use a .356 bullet for best accuracy, and I have friends using the 160s as well. They have a long bearing surface which translates to better accuracy. We are using 9x19 load data for the cartridge, and it works well.

In my experience you do not want to use a 9x19 die unless you bulge some of the brass at the base, or you are trying to use some 88-95gr bullets in 9x19, which didnt go well for me... :rolleyes:

Give it a whirl, but just watch your pressure signs, go slow and work up!

Regards,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to DougC for the info on the VV320 powder. :) Over the past week I've worked up a 38 short colt load using 3.8gr of 320 with a 135gr billy bullet. It gives about 940fps (127pf)w/o signs of over pressure. Not sure about accuracy yet, I'll do more testing next week.

With 3.9gr I had readings about 990fps. For both loads, the powder was pretty clean. Some left in chambers and barrel, but not enough to cause problems under the extractor. Keep in mind I'm rather new to reloading and so far have only used 320 as my reloading powder.

The cleanest load I've shot was 4.7gr of 320 under a BB 135gr bullet in 38 special (130-132pf), which is the load I used at IRC this year.

Rich

• 10 months later...

I have found a good 38 short colt load

3.8 grains of VVN320

125 gr. Lead RN cast bullet as cast. (9mm Lee mold)

Fed. 100 primers

starline 38 short colt brass

1040 fps

130 pf

686+ 6" barrel

total spread was 8 fps in 7 shots