Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly Coated Lead In Xd?

roby

im trying to find out what kind of rifling is in the xd barrels (40sw) and if it is suitable to shoot a moly coated lead bullet through it. ive shot plenty of masterblaster bullets through my sti w/ great success and genuinely like the product, service, and quality. i will be loading it to minor pf w/ ramshot competition. is it ok or should i just go w/ a jacketed bullet for this application?

I have shot a few thousand moly coated bullets through an XD9 - fps is a bit more than the 40. Accuracy is good and price is right(or at least better than jacked)

For that matter, have shot many, many thousands of moly-coated through 40S&W Glock with stock barrel.

Why would you think there was a problem with moly-coated in an XD?

Wow, someone else in this world shoots minor with Masterblasters and Competition powder! Not sure what barrel length you've got, but I'll give you my load for my Glock 35 with Barsto barrel. It's not as light as you can go, but I could time it well and it was very accurate. Now I'm using the same powder and bullets for Limited.

180 gr MB

3.2 gr Comp.

1.140 OAL

Fed 100 Primer

148 PF

Wow, someone else in this world shoots minor with Masterblasters and Competition powder! Not sure what barrel length you've got, but I'll give you my load for my Glock 35 with Barsto barrel. It's not as light as you can go, but I could time it well and it was very accurate. Now I'm using the same powder and bullets for Limited.

180 gr MB

3.2 gr Comp.

1.140 OAL

Fed 100 Primer

148 PF

ill try that out. i used ramshot comp and mb bullets in my limited gun for a while. the comp powder is very clean. i needed 5.2g of competition to make major in my sti though. tom stedman (sp) is a great guy to deal with, maybe a year ago i needed a rush delivery for a match and he got a case out quicker than all hell.

• 4 weeks later...

180 gr MB

3.2 gr Comp.

1.140 OAL

Fed 100 Primer

148 PF

Splashdown,

What recoil spring are you using with this load and what's the felt recoil like? My wife has pretty much the same pistol, but a recently broken and pinned scaphoid bone in her right wrist. I think she's going in again for another surgery but is raring to go shooting. I'm thinking I'd like her to shoot minor, as the major rounds cause some discomfort. The 22/45 is fine, though. :)

jmaracing

Edited by jmaracing

I shoot minor power in both 9mm and 40 XD's (IPSC Production class) with lead bullets. Soft bullets don't do well in either. But they don't do well in other guns either. So that's not a quirk of the XD.

I've been shooting 3.8 gr of 231 in the 40 and the accuracy is good but they're not taking down poppers as well as I would like and when the air is still on the range the smoke is a problem. So I'm looking for a load with the same 180 gr. lead truncated cone bullet and Universal Clays if anyone has been working with that powder.

Sorry jmaracing,

I didn't check back on this thread for a while, you shoulda PM'ed me. I'd say it's pretty soft shooting. I've got THE Extended length tungsten guide rod with 13 lb ISMI spring (bought from Custom Glock Racing) for my minor loads. I have shot loads as light as 3.0 grains (of ramshot competition powder) and they cycle the gun just fine with this spring in it. I've never had any surgeries or wrist problems, so I can't say for sure what your wife will think of it. It may be worth a shot though if she's interested in trying.

Good luck.

how are these bullets? Are they pretty dirty and smokey? just curious went to their website and the prices seem pretty damn cheap

PK

half the smoke of traditional lead , just a tad dirtier than jacketed. worth it to me.

I've tried several different powders with MasterBlaster & Precision & I believe the majority of the smoke is from the powder. There is a debate over which is faster Clays or TiteGroup between different powder manufacturers that list burn rates but both leave a lot of smoke behind even with moly bullets. American Select smokes less & WST less than that. The tests continue.

I just made a fresh batch 180 and 200 with 3.4 tite group and 3.0 tite with the 200 masterblasters will try to chrono later today.

you will find the xd seem to slip out of battery on hard mag changes with anything less than a 16# spring .

Somewhere in here are some pics of where to lighten the slide if you want to shoot less than 145pf.Seems to be the bare minum to cycle my Xd's with the 16# spring