Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setup For Flat Shooting 35?

What do you guys recommend (parts) that will make the 35 more balanced and flat shooting? I mostly use ammo that I can easily buy at the stores (WWB, Blazer, American Eagle, etc..).

I know this is subjective but any tips would be appreciated.

I don't know that you can make a 35 shoot flat and balanced with factory ammo.... customized loads certainly make it easier to achieve- but with that in mind, here's a couple suggestions:

Brass magwell, extended tungsten guide rod w/ 15lb. spring, good grip tape (Tru Grip!!) and some heavier extended basepads ( like the Dawson +4/5 add-ons). These few things will change the way the gun feels and handles, but you'll need to find what combo plus other tweaks work best for you.

Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

What do you guys recommend (parts) that will make the 35 more balanced and flat shooting? I mostly use ammo that I can easily buy at the stores (WWB, Blazer, American Eagle, etc..).

Extended tungsten guide rod (THE model is what I use), and some kind of weight in the plug of the grip; a magwell like the Dawson ICE, with it's brass slug (two models avail), works nicely for this....

<edi> Looking at Mike's reply, yeah I forgot about the spring -- I run a 15-lb Wolff.

Edited by boo radley

My first year in Limited with a G35 I used American Eagle 165g FMJ (best price was @ natchezss.com).

Very soft shooting factory load, made major - 1030fps/169pf.

Put some grip tape on it and learn really good grip and stance.

:wacko: Really? Is that all it takes?

I think Flex is saying that the G35 doesn't really need all of the additional items that we tend to add to our pistols, if we'll just take the time to refine / tune our fundamentals. It's been true for me. Gear changes I kept simple - added Dawson FO front, Heinie rear, and on/off again with the skateboard tape/TruGrip tape (currently off). Then spent my money on training, ammo, and practice.

+1

Yes clamp both palms down tight something like an isometric hold. Then when you hammer it , the second shot goes right where you aimed the first shot.

I wasn't trying to be a smart@$$. B) My grip and stance are good enough I guess. I'm actually getting my frame stippled soon so that should take care of that.

What I should of said was "how can I make my Glock 35 shoot even flatter?"

I wasn't trying to be a smart@$$. B) My grip and stance are good enough I guess. I'm actually getting my frame stippled soon so that should take care of that.

What I should of said was "how can I make my Glock 35 shoot even flatter?"

Go to

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/

and pick up some Miwall 40S&W 180 gr FMJ when they have it in stock.

They shoot real soft and just make major. Velocity is 925 fps.

Miwall Reload 40 S&W 180gr TMJ reloads are also the same and a lot cheaper.

Velocity is also 925 fps.

Edited by coltgov

I dont know about that 925 fps. Im sure it does 925, but I wouldnt trust that at major matches. 7 fps is not very much breathing room for making major. Any variance (and there is a lot) in chrono's, weather, barrels or etc and you're screwed. Id go with at least 25-30 fps "buffer" safety cushion for matches.

+1

Yes clamp both palms down tight something like an isometric hold. Then when you hammer it , the second shot goes right where you aimed the first shot.

I'm sometimes surprised by the minimalist attitude towards Glocks, or improving them. I'm not sure if this is because of a bare-bones functionality vibe that comes with the gun, or aversion to the opposite end -- the tricked-out, pimped horror with the 32-round mag, scope and laser sights seen in catalogs....

In the Open Gun forum, if someone said, "Yeah, I drilled zim-zam holes here, and replaced an XYZ comp, to help the dot track," we'd all nod our heads wisely.

IMO, short of some really radical approaches like that crazy keel-weight thingy, or ports and compensators, there's not that much you CAN do, and a hundred bucks or so, to play around with a heavier guide rod, lighter springs, and a magwell might be money well spent.

I recognize that some don't feel they're necessary, and the isometric hold technique sounds interesting.

I dont know about that 925 fps. Im sure it does 925, but I wouldnt trust that at major matches. 7 fps is not very much breathing room for making major. Any variance (and there is a lot) in chrono's, weather, barrels or etc and you're screwed. Id go with at least 25-30 fps "buffer" safety cushion for matches.

910 is 165fp for a 180gr bullet.

925 is the avg velocity and the spread may be +/- 15 fps for the Miwall.

Personally I load mine to at least 950 fps OAL long for a G20 using 5.6gr of 231. I hate to see my brass while I'm shooting.