Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Parts Do You Have With You?

Round_Gun_Shooter

Some carry an extra revolver but some carry parts. What parts do you usually have in with your gear in case of breakage?

I have a small plastic box with the following:

spare main spring-1 reduced power, one standard factory

Spare strain screw cut and tested//another full length in case of ammo problems

Spare screw assortment- #1, #2, #3 and sight screws

spare bolt, plunger and spring (had one break once)

Spare fiber optic rod for front sight//spare rear sight complete

Spare trigger//spare hammer (for 25-2 in case hammer nose breaks)

Spare firing pins, springs, and pins for 625 (IDPA revo)

Cylinder stops and springs

Hands fitted reasonably close.

And a few other assorted small parts.

So, what am I missing? (I leave the battery powered Dremel in the car :) ) I should be able to repair most problems at a safe area without having to go to a 4" gun in USPSA.

I carry :

1 Smith & Wesson 5" 625.......

Set up EXACTLY like the other! ;)

Well maybe a different color of grip but otherwise.... :P

Will be running into a small problem though......

Am going to start running a 25-2.......I have two of these, One is almost race ready...I'll cristen it at the Mississippi Classic.

The other is 95+% and will be a safe queen for a good long while. Need to find another 25 to butcher and slice on....until then the back up will be .....2- 5" 625s :D

Good luck.......always a good reason to buy another ;)

HOP

Oooo... I'm fixed up

"A" gun is a 5" 610

"B" gun is a 6.5" 610

I have a small tackle box that includes S&W specific tools and at least 1 of every small part in the gun plus s a few odds and ends. I also carry a larger tackle box that has my cleaning supplies and field tools.

I was a boy scout. "Be Prepared" B)

I carry :

1 Smith & Wesson 5" 625.......

Set up EXACTLY like the other! ;)

HOP

Ditto...

I bring twin sisters (2 S&W 5" 625's)when I shoot. They both have all the bells 'n whistles. I think smithing at the range sucks!!! :angry: But, you do what you have to do, and work with what you have!!!

Jeff ;)

So, what am I missing?
I recommend you get a spare set of side plate screws. Especially the yoke screw. If you are going to be prepared for changing the mainspring or strain screw I'd recommend testing the setup ahead of time and writing down where to set the screw for ___ pounds. Even better, carry a trigger gauge with you. B)

So, what am I missing?

I recommend you get a spare set of side plate screws. Especially the yoke screw. If you are going to be prepared for changing the mainspring or strain screw I'd recommend testing the setup ahead of time and writing down where to set the screw for ___ pounds. Even better, carry a trigger gauge with you. B)

See original

spare main spring-1 reduced power, one standard factory

Spare strain screw cut and tested//another full length in case of ammo problems

Spare screw assortment- #1, #2, #3 and sight screws

Got that covered except for trigger gauge. (#1, 2 & 3 are the side plate and yoke screws)

Keep going, but I think if I can't fix it with what I got, time to break out the cooler and get ready for the trip home.

It's funny though, in the time since this thread started, I have fixed and tested three guns, sighted in my reflex on the AR, loaded ammo, and made four trips to the range to test it all out. Nice having a range up the street

Thanks,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

RGS. About the only thing not listed is the ejector rod tightening tool that I have been threatening to put in my box when I find it again. I just hate using pliers.

Since you brought up these parts, Gil Hebard Guns is clearing out some S&W revolver parts:

Flat and round head plate and yoke screws, $1.20 each;

Strain screws for N RB, K RB and K SB, $1.20 each;

Thumbpiece (stainless) for K, L & N, $8.50 each;

Thumbpiece nut (stainless), $1.95 each.

Tel: 309.289.2700; no website.

BTW, I though spares bags were only for bottomfeeders. :D I guess I need to get mine together.

Edited to add: For the time being, the spares for my M10-8 will be my M13-2, for the M28-2 it'll be the M27-3. I need to find a M581 to back up my M681-2. ;)

Edited by revchuck

I have a spare parts box, but its only got Auto / Bottomfeeder bits in it .... is that saying something???? :P I only worry about a cleaning kit for the revolvers, and I have rarely had to use that at the range either. :)

Edited by 8shooter