Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Srm Performance "sure Cycle"

eringobragh

If that gun will run reliably with 3 dram 1 1/8 and tac slugs that as light as you need to go. Keep it clean with the gas system lubed and fresh rubbers from EricW and shoot it like you stole it. The only other thing is drill the ports and do that only as a last resort.-----Larry

Edited by lkytx

2.75 Dram 1.125 OZ are fine on steel if your choke is keeping all the shot on the plate. Loose choke, use the heavy stuff. The lite stuff is killer on steel when the entire pattern is actually put onto the steel.

I run a modified with that type of shot and it has authority out to 25-30 yards. I carry heavier shot just iin case, but haven't needed to resort to it yet, not even on the infamous Vegas grader blades in the wind last year ;-)

The problem with lighter loads isn't the amount of poop they have - it's consistency. My Walmart Winchester 1oz loads clean steel with authority with a Mod choke. The problem is - that you get a couple foofers with every case - which automatically negates all the picoseconds you saved in the last 10 years by shooting foofer loads.

For matches that matter, use high-quality standard trap loads or handicap loads. It's only an extra buck a box.

S'truth that using any discount ammo without adequate testing is just plain "you known what".

I have been through 10k+ of the RIO 2.75 1.125oz 7.5's in the last coupla' years and it is very good stuff for cheapo ammo in my experience.

I selected it a few years back after a shootout where I went out and tested 3 different 2.75 Dram 7.5's (Remington Gun Club, Fiocchi & RIO). I burned all 3 cases I of it I bought the day I tested it out initially and had no failures to fully function whatsoever (read "no chuffers" here).

The 3 cases of Remington Gun Club special that the salesman told me was re-packaged Remington Premium ammo turned out to all have thin and undersized case rims. Every other round was failing to extract by having the edge of the rim pulled through by the extractor. Suffice to say that crap went back to that salesman that very same day. I also bought 10k of the RIO right then and there at $31.50/case versus 39.50/case for the Fiocchi.

Last year right before the 3G Nats, I chronoed a whole bunch of Lite shotshells and not only was the RIO the hottest of the 2.75 Drammers, but it was the most consistent too. Now that I have that experience behind me, I will always use a chrono whenever I evaluate batches of shotshells in the future. Yessir, you can bet that I will ;-)