Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Happening To Me Too...

revchuck

Shot an IDPA match last night, and I beat some of the auto shooters that usually walk over me...and it wasn't because they screwed up. :)

I've decided to "go gamer" to an extent - shooting minor loads in a division max weight gun (681), and using Safariland Comp IIs instead of my HKS loaders. Next time I might have to use a vest instead of a shirt, an OWB holster and speedloader carriers other than the Safariland Split Sixes. ;)

Aside: I shot my new loads last night, 4.2 grains of PB under a Zero 158 grain RNL, and 4.4 grains of PB under a Berry's 158 grain RN. I rarely see b/c gap or muzzle flash with lead bullets, and didn't last night, but the b/c gap flash with the Berry's load was weird; it was clear except at the edges, which I estimate to be about 6-8" in diameter. I brushed the gun out before refilling with my carry ammo, and there wasn't anything to brush out except the usual crud from lead bullets. No powder in the chambers, under the extractor star, or in the barrel.

Good going.

And I don't think that what you are doing is gaming. You are using equipment appropriate to the situation at hand. Comp 2's are a ton faster than HKS loaders in a match. Just as the HKS loaders might be more appropriate for a carry situation

Good shooting is good shooting and when the stages are set up to be revo neutral than about all you are giving up is a little bit of reload speed. That can be overcome with shooting and movement.

This tuesday at our local weekly steel match there were 143 shooters with all types of equipment. The overall winner was Rob Leatham shooting L10, then there were 7 guys with Open guns. But the number 9 finisher overall was a young fellow with an iron sighted 627. And this isn't the first time he has been in the top 10 with that round gun. He is giving up nothing except the reloads to a few Open shooters. An he finished ahead of all the guys running Liimited guns.

It's the ability of the shooter much more than the gun style that matters. I'm thinking that we as revo shooters need to step up what we do a couple of notches, just like you are doing.

Edited by Viggen

Good going. :D If you like the Berry's 158 gr RN, you might want to try their 158 gr FN. I used the RN with my moon clips which are more sensitive to the load than the COMP II or III. I find the FN loads easyer, faster. Good luck and continue the good shooting.

Yea, if my butt was on the line I'm afraid I'd get the gamiest gear I could find. My hats off to those guys.

Nice to see some of our gear helping others isn't it. Makes me wanna' go out and shoot a match!

I always thought being Gamey was just a code word for being prepared for the unexpected, used by those who hadn't been prepared. But, I shot an Open gun in '92, a single stack 1911 in Limited in '98, a 4" M29 in Revolver Division and had fun with'em all.

My only regret has been not having enough cash to Really Get Game whenever I wanted.

Go Revchuck, get gamey with it and have fun. You could also sew a canvas/leather patch into an old shirt. Then spend the money for the vest on more ammo. Now that's gamey!

Go Revchuck, get gamey with it and have fun. You could also sew a canvas/leather patch into an old shirt. Then spend the money for the vest on more ammo. Now that's gamey!
Actually, I have two vests - a khaki 5.11 and an OD Italian Army surplus one. It's just that I'm one of the "IDPA is for shooting with your carry gear" crowd, and I was wearing blue cargo pants and a blue and white pseudo-Hawaiian shirt yesterday. Today I'm wearing the 5.11 vest because it matches my jeans, and contrasts nicely with the dark blue T-shirt I have on (that says "2002 Alabama State IDPA Championships" on it, but it's covered by the vest ;)).

I've got enough brass, primers and bullets to load at least three .50 cal ammo cans full of .38 Special ammo. I need to do that, and then shoot it up in practice. Now that's gamey! :D

Edited by revchuck

When are they gonna open a mouse-gun division so we can see some people shoot with what people *really* carry?

We considered having a wildcat match at my old IPSC club with no revolvers over 2 1/5" and five shots, and no semi-autos chambered in anything bigger than .380.

Now THAT would be a hoot! I'd be on the P32 SuperSquad!! :lol:

When are they gonna open a mouse-gun division so we can see some people shoot with what people *really* carry?

We considered having a wildcat match at my old IPSC club with no revolvers over 2 1/5" and five shots, and no semi-autos chambered in anything bigger than .380.

IDPA has a "BUG" division that's pretty close to that. .32 ACP or bigger, max five shots loaded, barrels no longer than three inches, no on-the-clock reloads. It's not real popular.

IDPA has a "BUG" division that's pretty close to that. .32 ACP or bigger, max five shots loaded, barrels no longer than three inches, no on-the-clock reloads. It's not real popular.

Yeah, it's kinda like dating fat chicks (guys-for women's equal time). It's alot of fun but you'd really rather all your friends and family didn't know about it. ;)

This is the discussion that got us talking about the subject. We had one particularly outspoken member that carried all the time (including in the shower I assume). He shot Open in The Game and every once in a while we'd have some "tactical" type bust his chops for "gaming" after the match was over or at lunch after. He'd come back with something like "show me what you are carrying RIGHT NOW, no, don't point at your car, no, don't tell me about the guns you "normally" carry, show me what you got RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW". Well, those of us that knew him knew he had *something* on him, I halfway suspected he had his loaded 22 mag revolver or something else on him even when he was shooting the match, although I never offered to search him after LAMR to make sure he only had one loaded gun. :rolleyes:

About 8 1/2 times out of ten he'd be the only guy standing there that could produce a loaded handgun anytime, anywhere, day or night. Winter parka, or shorts and a Tee shirt (maybe soap on a rope?) he would have *some* kind of gun. That naturally meant he was usually carrying something that wouldn't be allowed in any of these games.

So. What is everybody carrying "RIGHT NOW" and where is that line I can cross marked "GAMING"? :P

Now Magnum P.I. coordinating our shooting outfits isn't something that's talked about. Cause that kind of Gamey, well it just steps over the line! :blink: Maybe if I wear the bright Red Shirt, it'll blind Johnny Keeps Beatingme when the sun hits, cause the range faces East?

Unless your getting paid for it.

But I always wear gray socks, so I don't have to match'em.

So. What is everybody carrying "RIGHT NOW" and where is that line I can cross marked "GAMING"?
S&W M10-8 4", loaded with Remington 158 grain +P LHPs, a speedloader and a speed strip loaded with the same. Gamer content: Switched to Comp IIs for carry from HKS.

I'm a teacher, but it's in a virtual school, so my office is at home. ;)

So. What is everybody carrying "RIGHT NOW" and where is that line I can cross marked "GAMING"?

S&W M10-8 4", loaded with Remington 158 grain +P LHPs, a speedloader and a speed strip loaded with the same. Gamer content: Switched to Comp IIs for carry from HKS.

I'm a teacher, but it's in a virtual school, so my office is at home. ;)

So you're sitting at home with that getup actually ON?? :rolleyes:

Right Now, it's a $3 folding sawtooth knife from Tractor Supply. Probably get me in as much trouble as a gun, too.

Only if you whip it out. :o

If you do need to whip something out, what would you rather have?...

So you're sitting at home with that getup actually ON??
Yup. Goes on in the morning, comes off at night. It's comfortable on a polymer-lined leather belt, and this way I only have to do the on-and-off thing once each per day. And BTW, the belt is from OK (Looper Leather).