Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Slide And Sprinco

Newguy

I recently discovered a thin crack on the left side of the ejection port on my Briley Signature series ltd gun (STI slide). (The crack is slightly in front of the ejection port.) The problem may be related to the slide being thinned too much along the sides (Briley's Signature Series trademark) or improperly treated steel.

90% of the time the gun was used with a Sprinco, and I thought the dual spring system would have dampened the slide impact. The gun has about 20-30k rounds and has only been used with 168-172 pf ammo. Has anyone else using a Sprinco had a problem with a cracked slide? The slide is being replaced and I'm a little gunshy about putting the Sprinco back in. OTOH, I like the way it seems to dampen recoil a little.

I have several guns (at least 8) with Sprinco's in them, 2 of them Briley's and several others that I have parted with overtime that all had Sprinco's in them. To many hundreds of thousands of rounds to even count.

Aside from the normal fitting that some guns or systems required, a couple that broke the loctite and came unscrewed (once in an Area match) and other minor issues (like wrong spring weight for a given load), I am 100% satisfied and have never had a gun related failure that I would even consider the Sprinco being at fault.

I recently discovered a thin crack on the left side of the ejection port on my Briley Signature series ltd gun (STI slide). (The crack is slightly in front of the ejection port.) The problem may be related to the slide being thinned too much along the sides (Briley's Signature Series trademark) or improperly treated steel.

90% of the time the gun was used with a Sprinco, and I thought the dual spring system would have dampened the slide impact. The gun has about 20-30k rounds and has only been used with 168-172 pf ammo. Has anyone else using a Sprinco had a problem with a cracked slide? The slide is being replaced and I'm a little gunshy about putting the Sprinco back in. OTOH, I like the way it seems to dampen recoil a little.

Like Jim, I have two STIs that I run with Sprincos. Both are built by Millenium Custom and have been radically lightened. MANY thousand rounds later - no prob. One gun went through at least 3000K of 175 PF ammo in prep for the World Shoot. I think your problem is more than likely an issue of metal fatigue or just bad luck. Of the issues I have heard about Sprincos, I have never heard of a slide cracking as a result. What does Briley say? I think cracking slides is fairly common - just one of those things that happen. I don't see how the guiderod system could cause a crack unless the system completely failed and broke during firing. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Been running a Sprinco for years in my Para P14 with never a problem. Well I had to loctite it once, but nothing other than that. My thought is it's a slide issue and probably a fluke at that.

Craig

• 2 months later...