Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dallas Area Training Classes

Mangahunterd

I have been trying to find a place to take some classes to improve my skills. I have only been shooting for a litle while and have only got advice from friends. SInce moving to Dallas I don't have any new friends that shoot. I have looked so peopel up online but have never got a response. SO my question is for you Dallas Area people in teh know is there someplace that you receoommend going?

To be clear my ultimate goal is to start shooting IDPA and get my CCW permit.

Thanks in Advance!

Come out on Wednesday nights to the Elm Fork Shooting Park and check out an IDPA match put on by Dallas IDPA. We welcome new shooters, and will give a briefing on safety, what to expect, etc. Our club president is a member here, I'm sure he'll chime in as well, or perhaps send you a PM. There are several classes taught on an ongoing basis, as well. Good luck, and ask any questions that you may have.

Mike

Welcome aboard! You actually have lots of shooting buddies in Dallas...you just haven't met us yet! :) Here are a few more spots where you'll find us...

For general shooting & steel plate matches...

Dallas Pistol Club

For USPSA shooting...

USPSA/IPSC - North Texas Section

USPSA/IPSC - Jacob's Plain Gun Club

USPSA/IPSC - Johnson County Sport Shooting Assoc

For IDPA shooting...

IDPA - Collin County Club

Area club/match calendar

Look up dallasidpa.com and come shoot with us on wednesday evernings. I can help you with the CCW license since I teach the class with another friend at my department.

Edited by Sgtsvi

Cool,

I will try to come next week. I will probably just come to see what it is all about the first night. I am still needing to get some items to start shooting, concealment garment, holster etc..

Dallas IDPA shoots every Wednesday night, and the first Saturday, and third and fourth Sunday. Come on out and shoot. We will help you any way we can.

A large unbuttoned shirt works fine for concealment garment. We have let new shooters who don't have holsters bring the gun to the line and then start from ready gun, so you don't have to wait until you can buy everything to start having fun. You will need eye and ear protection, of course.

Thanks,

Darin

What kind of gun are you shooting. I bet either I or someone else will have holsters and mag pouches to fit it. bring about 100 rounds or more of ammo and come play with us tonight. We are a friendly bunch and very welcoming to new shooters. Do go buy crap that doesnt work and then have to replace it. come try out our stuff and see what works for you and then go make a purchase.

Just ask for Dave (me) or Darin (BigD)

• 4 weeks later...
What kind of gun are you shooting. I bet either I or someone else will have holsters and mag pouches to fit it. bring about 100 rounds or more of ammo and come play with us tonight. We are a friendly bunch and very welcoming to new shooters. Do go buy crap that doesnt work and then have to replace it. come try out our stuff and see what works for you and then go make a purchase.

I have a Ruger P-90. I was intending to come April 26th but I have had to work late every night since then. I am going to try to get out there on May 24th.

I was looking at the schedule on the Dallas IDPA site it looks like you guys do not have a shoot this weekend? (May 20th and 21st)

Edited by Mangahunterd

I have a Ruger P-90. I was intending to come April 26th but I have had to work late every night since then. I am going to try to get out there on May 24th.

I was looking at the schedule on the Dallas IDPA site it looks like you guys do not have a shoot this weekend? (May 20th and 21st)

Hi Mangahunterd,

We are having a match on Sunday the 21st, hammer down at 10am but try to be there by about 9:15 or so and we can get you through the new shooters' intro and geared up in plenty of time. Please let me know where you were looking on the DIDPA site that said there was no match this weekend, and I'll go fix it.

Here is a nice synopsis of matches in the general North TX area: http://www.dfwshooters.org/schedule.htm

It needs to be corrected for the Sunday Collin County IDPA matches, which I believe are now held in Greenville, but other than that you get the idea - as always, check the individual club websites before heading out to a match just in case. There is also a steel match out at Dallas Pistol Club on the 3rd and 4th Sunday of each month. Hope to see you out at the range soon.

I was just looking at the generic times when you had competitions so no typos on your part. I may try to show on Saturday but I will definitly be there on Wednesday. I am still waiting to get my New DL so it makes it hard to buy anything without a photo ID....

Edited by Mangahunterd