Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Up 231?

revchuck

Folks - My current IDPA SSR revolver (S&W M10-8) dotes on 4.5 grains of 231 under a Zero 158 grain RNL. It shoots under 2" at 25 yards.

HOWEVER, during a match last night I had problems with reloads using this ammo. After two reloads, the rounds started not wanting to go into the chambers easily. I had to brush the cylinder out after each stage - not really the way I want this to work.

The expander plug isn't too big, since there's an obvious bulge at the bullet base with thicker brass; and I roll crimp the ammo. That leaves the primer. I'm using Fed 100s, and have Fed 200s. Would the magnum primers be enough to clean this up...or do I renew my search for a cleaner powder?

Thanks!

You might be better off with something faster like Bullseye, about 3.5 grains...

I've got most of a 4 pound can of Bullseye. It takes 4.1 grains to make minor (current Alliant data says 3.8 grains is max for +P). Otherwise I'd be loading it. :)

Thanks!

Try Hodgdon Clays. It will make minor at 2.8gr (800fps) and can be loaded to 3.2gr (871fps) but you better be careful and verify the data in your handgun. I used a 686 with very few modification for this load, 158gr LRN bullet seated to 1.425"

I used to use 231 all the time for my NRA AP loads (3.7gr = 820fps), never had serious fouling until about 250rounds. Turned out it was the bullet lube more than the powder, used JHP's for a while and the fouling was reduced by 80% at least. Went back to Lead and back it came. When I shoot LEad now I use a Polymer coated projectile not a wax / gresed lubed one. Much less fouling but not as good as JHP.

Chuck,

I have fired lots of 38 rounds from a Mdl 10 loaded with 231: lead, plated, jacketed. I have not had your problem. I wonder if the cylinder has some hard fouling that may not swab out with solvent and may need a pick? Clean out the carbon once, and you are good for a long time.

If I started reloading for 38 again, I would try Titegroup. Supposed to help with position sensitivity (which is a problem I DID have).

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...