Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

121gr Hap In A G19

WestDesRat

Hello folks, I've done some lurking, but this is my first post. I'm not too serious when it comes to shooting in the games, as I do it mostly for fun.

Anyhow, I picked up 500 of the .356" 121gr Hornady HAP bullets to try in my Glock 19 and XD-9 pistols, but I havnt been able to find any load data particular to this bullet. IIRC Hornady says to use the 124gr XTP data, which has given me an idea where to start.

Right now I'm planning on trying an OAL of 1.075" and starting at 4.3gr of Universal Clays and working up. From what I can find my max should be 4.9-5.3gr of UC. I'm not shooting for a particular power factor or velocity here, just an accurate plinking and practice load. I have been using a 124gr WestCoast plated RN over 4.7gr up to now for practice

Anyone have any suggestions or pet loads with the 121gr HAP?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4.3 titegroup at 1.150 oal, fed 100 primer

this is my pet steel load for the G34

Why do you seat at 1.150 OAL when the 125 grain xtp bullet is supposted to be set to 1.060 via hornady's manuel

1.130" with 3.7 regular Clays, it shoots a lot better for me than Universal.

All of Hornady data is short loads it seems. Most of us load a little longer than the minimum Hornady lists because they seem to feed a little better.

Anybody have starting data for 125 xtps with titegroup? Just want to work mine up from scratch. Also does seating it longer have anything to do with min and max grains of powder? According to the hodgdon site, it lists a 125 Sierra FMJ at 4.1 to 4.4. Being that these hap bullets are 4 grains lighter does that mean you can raise it to 4.7? I'm a newbie as well and just don't like to stray to far from the written lol.

steel, yes the overall length has an impact on how much powder you use. Load them short and case capacity is reduced, for a given charge of powder the pressures and velocities will be higher than if they were loaded longer. Using data that calls for 1.125" and loading to 1.090" CAN be a problem. Using data that calls for 1.090" and loading to 1.125" should be just fine as long as the bullet shape you are using feeds well at that length.

Get a few manuals, at least two and 3 or 4 good manuals is better. Get a chronograph. I wish I would have when I first started. The chrono takes the guesswork out of reloading and can save you from quite a few problems. DON'T stray from published data without a chronograph, that is a guessing game you just don't want to play.

this is my recipe:

124gr precision delta

mixed brass

4 grains of titegroup

oal is 1.16

federal 100 primers

using a kkm barrel in my g34 puts me right at 130ish pf, 3.8 was just a little to slow, some would make pf and some would not, you might be able to settle with 3.9. But every gun is different. hope this helps

PK

I have a couple of manuels but neither one of them include the hap bullets and one of them is the hornady one lol. I would like to find it published somewhere useing titegroup but I can't find it.

Also I just checked hodgdon's site and it has a 125 full metal jacket and titegroup at 4.1 to 4.4 grains. Would this be safe to say to use this load with a 121 grain hap bullet but make it overall 1.060 like the 124 grain xtp instead of the 1.090 for the fmj from sierra?

Edited by steel1212

Also I just checked hodgdon's site and it has a 125 full metal jacket and titegroup at 4.1 to 4.4 grains. Would this be safe to say to use this load with a 121 grain hap bullet but make it overall 1.060 like the 124 grain xtp instead of the 1.090 for the fmj from sierra?

I would load longer rather than shorter. I load a 125 grain Zero JHP - similar to your HAP bullet - at 1.14" over 4.2 grains of Titegroup, and get about 1050 fps, just about the same velocity as factory standard velocity ammo using that weight bullet.

If you feel it's important to load to the length in the Hornady manual, use the powder charges from that manual. There's not much room in a 9x19 case, and loading shorter drives pressures up quickly. The folks at Hornady took that into account when they worked up those loads.

Hornady doesn't give powder charges for titegroup in 9mm. I know that titegroup can be used in 9mm as I have load data from hodgdon for the 147 xtps I shoot. What I'm trying to figure out is that being the hap bullet is the same thing as a xtp just redesigned can I use the OAL in the hornady manuel but use the grains provided by hodgdon for a 125 grain full metal jacket?