Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Batf Enforcing Sales Tax?

DJPoLo

A local gunsmith reported the following:

BATF is milling around gunsmiths trying to charge them 11% sales tax. BATF is calling gunsmiths "gun manufacturers" and therefore they are responsible for 11% sales tax. This means if he does any changes to your gun, even changing your grips.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

-Chet

I would think that since the part with the serial number is the "gun" part, that only the creation of a new serial number would be gun manufacturing. But then that's logic which is probably out of line here...

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2006/03/ba...m-gunsmths.html

I'm not saying this isn't the case, but until someone produces some type of physical documentation...

If people are receiving/signing notices or letters, you'd think that someone, somewhere would have the presence of mind to photograph or scan them and put them up for the world to see.

A local gunsmith reported the following:
BATF is milling around gunsmiths trying to charge them 11% sales tax. BATF is calling gunsmiths "gun manufacturers" and therefore they are responsible for 11% sales tax. This means if he does any changes to your gun, even changing your grips.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

-Chet

Only way I could see this happening is if they are buying "raw stock" 1911 frames and building up guns around them. I would not be at all surprised if the government was trying to figure out new ways to squeeze taxes out of us considering the size of the deficit. :blink: