Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Index Finger

Dusty

I was wondering if anyone puts their weak hand index finger over the trigger guard? I was watching the TJ video on grips and noticed he put his index finger under the trigger guard.

While the modern method is to place the weak hand index finger under the trigger guard, I find the wrist rotation uncomfortable, so I have my weak hand index finger on the trigger guard. I think it is still mostly what works for the individual. Try it both ways and decide which you prefer and then stay with it.

Guy

I tried the "finger in front of the trigger guard" grip once or twice, but it doesn't work for me. It seems like my weak hand index finger gets in the way of my trigger finger. I also end up pulling the muzzle around with the index finger.

Leave your finger under the trigger guard. The problem with putting it in front of the trigger guard is that your grip will be inconsistent. Study the way that Todd, Brian or Robby grip the gun and that is the way to go.

There are great shooters in both camps. The current World Champions in Production and Open shoot with a finger over the TG. The other divisions have World Champions with fingers under the TG. Try and see what works for you :)