Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd Fte Help

Z-man

I've recently been having troubles with my Springfield XD 9 tactical. The gun has run really smooth, but the last couple months its had several FTE's. Occasionaly the slide will lock back because the empty case stays in the chamber and the next round hits it (locking the slide open). I'm not sure whether I'm using bad ammo (my reloads, that I case gage religously) but it doesn't seem to be that. It seems as though the extractor is slipping off the empty case rim, because if I drop the mag and the slide forward, it'll extract the round. If anyone has some ideas, I'd really appreciate it. One shooter thought that the extractor spring needs to be replaced as it didn't seem very tense. I'm pretty new to the gun (and am no gunsmith!) so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there anything that can be done without shipping the gun off to Springfield (they won't mail extra parts at this point)? It's pretty frustrating to always wonder if the gun is going to jam at some point (today it jammed like this TWICE during a classifier :angry: ).

Thanks, I had read your thread the other day and thought YES, exactly the same things are happening to me... I just couldn't find the darn thread again so I thought I'd post anyways. The shooter that mentioned the extractor spring idea shoots a glock and may have assumed a spring is involved... but after looking at the gun (and posting) I realized the mistake. You mentioned on your post that the problem has been solved after polishing the chamber. Was it very difficult to do?

Z-Man,

It's an easy job. I used Flitz and XRe's suggestion on the felt wheel (see that thread). Be patient and use a slow and smooth in-an-out motion.

Please post your results and whether it solved your FTE's.

Thanks for the help. I've got to pick up the stuff at home depot tomorrow. I was looking at the Flitz website, are their products available in retail stores or only online? I thought I'd pick some up (and maybe some tumbler additive as well).

I'll makes sure to post my results.

I polished the chamber with a felt attachment ground down to proper diameter. Couldn't find any Flitz, but Home Depot had some Riobi metal polishing compound. The chamber definitely needed to be well cleaned. It looked great when finished. I haven't put alot of rounds down range, as I just shot it in a local match (about 90 rounds) but didn't have a single problem. I'm really hoping that this will clear things up. I'll let you all know how things work as I shoot more.

Well, no luck. I recently shot another 200 rounds through the gun, and tonight while practicing with it I experienced another jam of the same sort :angry: . This after having changed the recoil spring, cleaned the gun really well, chamber checked all my ammo, and polished the chamber. At this point I don't know whether my polishing of the chamber wasn't sufficient or whether there is something otherwise wrong. Tomorrow I'm going to take out the extractor and see if I've missed something there, but I just don't know since it seems to be in good shape. To me it looks fine (but I'm certainly no gunsmith). Any ideas? I'm pretty frustrated and just want the darn thing to work RELIABLY. Any and all suggestions would be really helpful!

What load/bullet are you using? There have been instances where some guns were not completely reliable with 115gr loads (factory) but worked well with 124gr loads. Is is giving the problem only with your reloads, or with all ammunition? If you have not tried any, some factory ammunition as a comparison may be good.

Also, is there any possibility that this is a problem caused by limp wristing? Does it do the same thing for other shooters?

Good luck.

Guy

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm pretty sure it's not the ammo, I've had the problem with several factory rounds and several different reloads. I'm almost positive it's not limp wristing, because I've put about 6k rounds through it prior to having these problems and I have been very conscious about not limpwristing lately. I'm going to take out the extractor today and check it out. I'll see if there is anything noticeably wrong. If that doesn't help, I think it'll go off to Springfield unless anyone has an extra extractor around?

Z-man,

I had the same problem with my XD-9. What I found was a small piece of debris under the extractor was causing the problem. (until I looked, I never would have guessed) I used a dental pick, cleaned the area out really well, and never had the problem again.

Since that time I've run 6000 + rounds through it, both reloads and factory, and haven't had a problem.

Well, no luck. I recently shot another 200 rounds through the gun, and tonight while practicing with it I experienced another jam of the same sort :angry: . This after having changed the recoil spring, cleaned the gun really well, chamber checked all my ammo, and polished the chamber. At this point I don't know whether my polishing of the chamber wasn't sufficient or whether there is something otherwise wrong. Tomorrow I'm going to take out the extractor and see if I've missed something there, but I just don't know since it seems to be in good shape. To me it looks fine (but I'm certainly no gunsmith). Any ideas? I'm pretty frustrated and just want the darn thing to work RELIABLY. Any and all suggestions would be really helpful!

Bummer - that's frustrating. Why did you change the recoil spring and could that be the culprit?

You may just have to send it to Springfield. Good luck.

I changed the recoil spring because it had quite a few rounds on it and I was at the point of trying anything! I finally gave up and sent the gun to Springfield. I was pleased with their willingness to get the gun in and fixed but wasn't very impressed with their response to my questions about the "no parts" policy... I really hope to see it change, I really like the XD but don't like the idea of a 2-4 week turnaround if something as small as the extractor breaks. That's a long time in the middle of shooting season. I'll update when I get the gun back.

I just received my XD back from Springfield yesterday. While I was (and still am to a certain extent) frustrated that they couldn't just send me an extractor, the people at the Repair shop were really great. I told them I needed the gun back quickly because of a match this weekened, and they sped up the service, getting it back to me in about a weeks time. They replaced the extractor (for free) and test fired it as well as paid for the shipping both ways. I'll be taking the gun out tomorrow to see if the problem has been solved.

Well, some 350 rounds later I haven't had a single malfunction. The gun is back to running 100% and so is my confidence in it! I'm pretty sure it was the extractor (though I don't know what exactly was wrong, I couldn't tell that it was broken in any way), so those with similar problems, I'd recommend SA's repair shop (unless you have some other access to extractors).

• 8 months later...