Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Sight For Hunting

TwoShot

I'm past the magic age of 50, not saying how far past! I have killed numerous deer with a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag and a scope. I'm having more trouble every year seeing the cross hairs, hell the deer, in low light conditions I have used the Leupold Gilmore dot sight shooting USPSA locally and an Optima for plinking and can shoot much better with the dots. Is there a dot sight out there suitable for hunting and mounting on a revolver that would stand up to the recoil of a 300 gr. bullet at 1250 m.v.?

I use the Nikon Monarch red dot. Four different dot sizes and eleven different brightness settings. Have been using it for two years on my S&W 500 Mag.

Nice to have a lot of brightness settings due to the fact you need a VERY low setting in low light (dawn or dusk). If the dot is too bright you will not be able to see the target past the dot.

I always leave the dot on the smallest setting (1 moa I think it is).

I can't say how long the batteries last. I only turn it one when I see or hear a deer coming. Haven't had to replace a battery yet.

With the Aimpoint you can turn the thing on at the beginning of the season and never turn it off until the season is over and not worry about battery life.

I have been thinking along similar lines. I have a turkey shotgun that I would like to put a dot on and don't want to spend $400 for the Aimpoint though and am interested in something less expensive. Has anyone tried the Hakko red dots that I see for around $150? I think an Aimpoint or Eotech would be the best choice, but wanted something to throw on the turkey gun that was less expensive. Thanks

I have an Optima on a L1A1 .308 so I think they can handle the recoil OK. My 686 has a cheap Simmons 50mm red dot now but has had ProPoints on it for years. Both work quite well for deer. One year I used my C-More sighted Open Para 38 Super with a 124 gr XTP bullet at 1500 fps to drop a doe with a 20 yard head shot.

Although there are times a little magnification would have been nice, I like red dots on pistols for hunting.

I'm looking at the Aimpoint 9000SC with the 1 or 2 minute dot and 2x magnification for my S&W 629 Performance Center Hunter.I too am over 50 and will be glad for the magnification.Best price I have found so far is $423 delivered,but from what I have heard they are worth every dime,especially with the new electronics that give extremely long battery life,and have an outstanding warranty.

Bought a Nikon Monarch red dot (6606) from Ebay tonight. The best price that I found on this unit was $222 and I bought it brand new from Ebay for $120. It has a fixed 6 moa dot, but on a turkey gun for a 30 yard shot it should be OK. I could also mount it on my Ruger Redhawk. Looking forward to getting it in a couple of days and will do a quick review. I was looking at a Hakko or ATN and think that the optics and durability will be better on this unit.

Rick