Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Dq

a-44978

I'm runnin a guy in a rifle-shotgun combo stage and at the end of the stage the rifle should be "saftey on" or DQ.Was'nt....................no one downrange,local match never left the table it was placed on in the transition/last shooting position.NONE OF THEM GOOD REASONS FOR NOT DQing this guy.

I warn him quietly as we unload to show clear,and he seems out of it a little.

Hot day ,getting a little punchy,dehydrated.I urged him to drink some water and get some shade.

Next stage

He's up I'm scoring and well behind both ro and shooter ,when................

I see the rifle,1st the side then the muzzel of the rifle ,as he was going forward he did not pull out far enough from a port and went well past the 180......................

It was near the end and he did finish.The squad then started asking about it.

The ro did'nt have time to react to it when it happened in my opinion,so .....................

We began to explain to the shooter what he did ...................

Without droning on on every little detail ,he got insulted by "being called"dehydrated :huh:

And then a little name calling (one way)and he got DQd.Then drove off still wearing his gear.I hope he took his pistolla off before he stopped for gas.

I will never make that mistake again.I should have followed the rules,even though it was me that almost had a rifle pointed at me it could have been somone else.

Man I'm so sorry :(

That's a tough situation to have been in. I can see it would be hard to make the call yet when you did not the first time it did lead to an even more dangerous situation. In the March/April Front Sight there is an article Safety Area subtitled "Playing It By The Book."

I guess that's the best way.

Been Ro for near 3 years, Now a CRO for less than a month and have to DQ another RO on RO day at a State/Section match.....My first one...really felt funny but the 180 is the 180 Period!

Not 2 weeks later have to do it again......in another state match. :angry:

HOP

Been Ro for near 3 years, Now a CRO for less than a month and have to DQ another RO on RO day at a State/Section match.....My first one...really felt funny but the 180 is the 180 Period!

Not 2 weeks later have to do it again......in another state match. :angry:

HOP

Sam, I know it sux, but don't get too down from it.

I've never DQ'd anyone. I'm just there to make the announcement and process the paperwork when they DQ themselves. :(

I messed up today during a classifying Match. Missing a modular Bullet-Catch...it sucks, it's causing grief.

It was my first DQ ever :( I left the range...tail between legs...like a beaten dog.

:( Thisone hurts.....janked my 911 into the revlimiter out of frustration <_<

Who's to blame....I Am!!! I owe apologies, 911. :o

A little bit off topic but my RO Kees Guichelaar felt sorry.

He shouldn't have...it was my mistake!

Edited by schmitz

Every time I've been D.Q.ed it's been "ME" who D.Q.ed.

Every Time I've R.O.ed someone else who D.Q.ed it was them.

Al, The one thing you should take from this, IMHO, is that next time make the call. Safety above everything else.

Al, The one thing you should take from this, IMHO, is that next time make the call. Safety above everything else.

+1. This happened to me as RO, (yet again...) even after I had convinced myself that no matter what the situation, no matter what mitigating circumstances, I would ALWAYS stop the shooter, in cases of Safety infraction or suspected squib. ie:) Anything which could, or could have caused an unsafe situation.

Well: First shooter, first stage, cold morning. Start from box, behind a Bianchi, left side of bay. Stage called for movement to the right after start. Well this first shooter happened to be a lefty. As soon as the buzzer went off he broke 180. The whole squad saw this and some of the other shooters even yelled '180 !...'.

I stopped the guy immediately, as per Rule Book. Once the range was clear, I calmly brought shooter back to the box and explained that he'd broken 180 in transition to 1st shooting area. He didn't sweep anyone, but we have railroad ties, not dirt between bays, so this 180, combined w. an AD and someone in the next bay could have been affected...

The other shooters agreed. But when I told him to take his paperwork to the shack for the DQ, everyone got on my case and said that wasn't necessary. 'Match DQ by Rule' I told them. But no, they kept saying that he shouldn't be DQ'ed for it...

So eventually I caved and even gave the guy a re-shoot !

From that point forward, the day literally fell apart for me - like the whole squad of mostly baby-boomers (ie: grown men) were 3rd graders with a new substitute teacher. At least that's what it felt like in my gut... All order just melted away. People stopped taping targets as instructed, started jawing loudly even as a new shooter was @ LMR. They used any/every excuse to get a re-shoot... It was really bad and demoralizing for me because my not DQ'ing this guy was probably what started these problems in the first place.

Not sure, but even if we are scoring and not the acting RO, we're supposed to notify the RO immediately in the case of a safety violation that may have gone unnoticed. It sounds to me like the shooter in your case wasn't all-together with it upstairs... If the tables were turned and I was the one who'd made a safety-related mistake, I would WANT others to point it out. I'd WANT to stow my gear for the day and reflect upon how/why the incident occurred.

This isn't paintball, folks. We've got to take the safety aspects of this sport seriously. Doesn't matter how long we've been at it or how highly we are ranked. :D

Just so I'm clear.....................

I'm so very sorry for not doin it on the first offence,not sorry for the dq.Yea i felt like i may have caused an attitude of "entitlement"by being lax.

NEVER AGAIN.Whats the worst that could happen if you stop a shooter mistakenly ?A reshoot.OK I"LL TAKE THAT compared to the potential grief soon to follow.

Great point Dan and others,we dq ourselves not the ro.All the ro does is break the bad news to the shooter.Thanks for the support and i hope to never post this story again as long as i live.

What's wierd is I DQ-ed myself once (everybody should do this at least once, it's educational) and people tried to talk me out of it..

"it's only a local match" .. "the RO says he didn't see it" .. "it was a defective part" ..

It sucks to be DQed, doubly so if it's the first stage of the match, but we have to be responsible for what we do.

What's wierd is I DQ-ed myself once (everybody should do this at least once, it's educational) and people tried to talk me out of it..

"it's only a local match" .. "the RO says he didn't see it" .. "it was a defective part" ..

It sucks to be DQed, doubly so if it's the first stage of the match, but we have to be responsible for what we do.

Yeah, the last time I D.Q.ed ("BANG" during a reload a couple of weeks ago) I was stopped for a good 3-5 seconds just staring at my gun and had laid my magazine down waiting for the R.O. to say "STOP" and right as I reached up to unload and show clear he stopped me and called the D.Q.. He realized it when it happened it just took longer for him to register it than it did me.