Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Or Limited 10?

mscott

I'll be shooting my first USPSA match Sunday and can't decide which way to go or if it even matters. I am planning on shooting both since I was told you can re-shoot for a small fee, but not for score. I'm not new to shooting, but I am new to this particular game. I have a Springfield 1911 in .40S&W and a G35 and enough mags, pouches, etc. for either. Single stack is not being used at this range yet. I have more experience with the 1911, but the Glock impresses me in handling and accuracy every time I take it out. I also have both major and minor loads ready to go. I guess my question is which class should a new guy start with?

Honest answer, it really doesn't matter, unless your gear is out of whack for the division. If you plan on shooting both it's not an issue. If you can only shoot one, pick the one that offers up the most fun. FWIW, shooters are seperated by their equipment (division) and by their ability (class).

Based on what you said I think you may as well flip a coin.

It doesn't really matter.

If I had to make a recommendation I guess I would say start out in production with the Glock.

I say this only because new shooters need to focus on safe gun handling.

With the 1911 you have to start cocked and locked, and release the safety on the draw.

With the Glock you don't have to deal with that.

It is just one less thing for a newbie to have to think about.

You don't need to rush through the course, speed comes with experience. Get your hits.

The minor scoring in production places a premium on accuracy.

It might be the best division for you to ease into.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

You will only get to shoot the second gun on the one qualifier stage [and pay for it], not for the entire match. Qualifiers tend to be very short courses of fire.

The glock will work in both production and L10, but the single action springfield only in L10. If you really want to try both, shoot the G35 in production and shoot the 1911 as second gun in L10. Or, vice versa. That way, you'll get to try out both guns and see what you like, but only on one short stage.

However, I personally would run the same gun the entire match. I would shoot the G35 with minor loads in production, and then shoot the same gun with major power for L10. That way, you get the consistency of shooting the same platform for an entire match and get to see how power factor affects your qualifier scores.

Cheers,

-brian reynolds

Edited by joker22

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. I think I'll go see Flex at Circleville tomorrow and see which gun does me better since I haven't shot the Glock in a match yet.

Depending on where you shoot, you may be able to shoot the entire match with both guns. We let folks shoot the entire match twice as long as they aren't holding up the whole squad. But, only the first gun will count for match score. However, if you shoot a classifier both scores will be submitted to USPSA.

As a relatively new shooter myself, I started in production with a G34. I moved into L-10 and Lim after 3 or so matches.

I like the scoring advantage shooting major, so that's why I stuck with those two.

So, if your accuracy isn't what you wanted it to be yet, try shooting L-10 with major loads.

Shoot which ever one you are more confident with.

My club allows re-shoots, but if You are shooting a different class, it's not really a re-shoot. I've gone through shooting Limited-10 class, and then gone thru a second time shooting Limited. Both scores counted, but in different classes.

You might want to see if You can shoot both guns, after trying both in a match, you might be able to decide which one to bring back next month !

Have fun ! :D