Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

External Safety? ( Extractor )

Dusty

Not enough info, Dusty.

What gun are you asking about, and are you looking at any particular brand/type of safety?

was looking at some kimbers and the new sig. just wondering if they where reliable?

was looking at some kimbers and the new sig. just wondering if they where reliable?

I'll bet you mean external extractor not external safety.

As a data-point, I have a Kimber CustomII, with the external extractor, and have fired thousands of rounds through her with zero problems. I think a lot of the issues with the external extractor cropped up with the non-Govt.-sized models, but who knows.

IMO, since Kimber is going back to the internal safety, I'd think a full-sized model with the external extractor will soon be the best buy out there....

• 3 months later...

My new Kimber Custom II has been a real pain, even after several thousand "break in" rounds, I would get rounds jammed up in the external extractor. Ammo used was several different factory ball, so I am convinced it was not my reloads. Ended up having the extractor smithed and that problem went away. It then started misfeeding with my Chip McCormic mags. CM said they were having a problem with the Kimber, and Kimber told me not to use the CM mags, but to buy the Kimber 10 rd. mags for $35 ea. I told Kimber to pound sand, changed the mag release to alter the height of the mag a bit (raising it), throated the barrel a bit, and things are much better. It still hangs up once and again, and is ok for this C shooter this year, but I will not be shooting it next year. I am saving up for a real gun...

If Kimber is truely going back to an internal extractor, that should tell you something.

Its a real shame, I actually like the gun...

its been hit or miss with the kimber external extractors. i've see 2 guns on the same day being shot by one guy (pretty big collection) same ammo and mags. one had no problems and the other just failed to extract. weird. :huh:

The only external extractor Ive heard that works well, are the ones on the S&W 1911's.

I have one now, had two. Never a problem.

Im shooting mine in L10 and s.s. The SW1911 extractor is so much simpler than the kimber's; why they felt to rube goldberg the external extractor; while, SW uses a pin, a spring, and a claw, -I have no idea.