Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Mags + Dawson Basepads = Won't Feed

DanB35

Trying to increase the capacity of my Para P14 mags, I recently ordered a couple of the Dawson basepads from Brownell's. Installation was simple, so I figured everything was fine. At yesterday morning's match, I found out otherwise--the first three rounds won't feed from either mag.

The rounds seem to be entering the chamber at too high of an angle--the bullet is contacting the top of the chamber, while the case head is near the bottom of the breech face. It seems as though the next round is not pushing up the case head to help it chamber. If I remove three rounds from the mag, it will feed fine, at least in hand-cycling the action.

The mags were otherwise completely stock Para, with nickel-plated tubes. I tried replacing the spring with a Wolff spring, which had no effect on this problem. Reinstalling the factory basepad, however, seems to have solved it completely.

Any ideas on this? I tried looking through the Para threads from the mag FAQ, and didn't see anything that seemed to adress my issue. Thanks for any suggestions!

Trying to increase the capacity of my Para P14 mags, I recently ordered a couple of the Dawson basepads from Brownell's. Installation was simple, so I figured everything was fine. At yesterday morning's match, I found out otherwise--the first three rounds won't feed from either mag.

What capacity are you getting? I have a P14 that I put a Dawson magwell on and I couldn't get any mag to latch but works fine with a gunsmith fitted S&A. Also the black mags that came with the gun & the few that I bought from the store work a lot better than the nickle one I got straight from Para. The lips on the nickle mags are about .040 while the black are .035, this may be causing to case to come out of the magazine differently.

Check that the follower is not getting stuck at the mag/basepad interface.

You may need to polish the inside of the Mag body. Nickle has a higher coefficient of friction, and nickle plating can be rough as applied.

Do you have the little purple inserts from Arredondo? You have to have these, or the follower tilts too much in the basepad. I had the same problem with para .40 mags, and these did the trick.

Not so for me.

P-14 mags are flat sided. Work great without inserts.

Everyone P-16 user I know, is not using the inserts in .40.

Edited by wide45

p-14 mags and dawson +2 base pads had gotton me 17 and 18 round mas of 45.

Woff extrapower springs with 3 coils cut off. standard para follower.

Check to see if your follower is cracked or burred. load the mags full and let them sit a few days.

Wide45 pretty well covered it.

If the stock spring and follower work with the factory pad, then it isn't either of these parts. Make sure the follower isn't hanging up where the basepad and mag fit. A little bevel works great.

45 mags don't need the insert.

---------------------------------------

I like the Dawson pads but Grams basepad/spring/follower kits get you 18 rds in a Para 45. That is what I have and they work 100%.

Get a S&A Magwell and your mags can have anyone's basepads fit without modification.

If you have the +2 factory Para basepads, the factory spring should work with the Dawson. If you have the flat factory pad, try a +10% spring clipped to the same OAL.

• 2 months later...
I like the Dawson pads but Grams basepad/spring/follower kits get you 18 rds in a Para 45. That is what I have and they work 100%.

I like the idea of 18+1 in 45, but it doesn't look like Grams is making those parts any more. I finally figured out the problem with the Dawsons, though--it was cartridge length. Last night I loaded up 100 rounds for this morning's match, and on a lark, decided to measure the length. They came in at 1.270, which sounded a bit long. I checked my Hornady manual, and sure enough, the max length with the 230 gr FMJ is listed at 1.240. I adjusted the length to 1.235, and now they feed fine, at least with me manually cycling the action. I'll have to try them next time I'm at the range to make sure, but it looks like this is fixed. It would also explain why live rounds would often hang on the ejection port.

Thanks for the help!

I have Dawson +1 basepads on my P-16 .40 mags. They will reliably feed 19 rounds. I can put 20 or 21 in one, but the follower will usually bind up and the rounds won't feed.

I have a similar problem with the Arredondo pads, except they will only feed 18 rounds.