Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm Magazines

benos

Since we are in the topic of magazines, who makes the best .38 Super single stack mags available in the market? .38 Super single stack mags are quite hard to come by these days. Wilson used to make them, but theyr're not included in Wilson's Catalog now.

Edited by tfs

Thhe last time I checked Brownells still had Wilson 38Super Mags. Part #965-047-310. The price was $29.95. The best 9MM Mag is the Springfield Mag with the groove at the front that forms a bit of a front ramp. They have no spacer in the back. With bumper pad they are Part#620-000-008 also in Brownells. I have tried 10MM Mags that hold 9 rounds of 10MM or long 40s'. You can get 10 9MM rounds in the Wilson 10MM and CMC 10MM Mags, but the last round has a tendency to move forward just enough to not drop free when I push my mag release button.

I just called Metalform.

The lady said they were premature to list 10-round 9mm and .38 magazines; that they will not be available until "the end of the year." I forgot to ask which year.

Edited by Jim Watson

I just got my gun and Mags Cobra) back from Virgil for SS. A custom STI Single Stack .40 that loads 8 flush fit. I would love to use 9mm STI Trojan in SS, but I just cant calculate a benefit, so I am going to load major. Virgil also cleaned up the gun, its the tightest its ever been, modified the feed ramp on the ultimatch bbl, and this gun will be a SS dominator. With a an S&A magwell/mainspring housing, Virgils BP9 .40sw 8 rounders fit flush and he tuned the gun around the mags. An aside, I had him pull the front fiber optic as I a making a massive switch back basic black steel front sights on my main Pd and Ltd gun (Angus built CZ only) and the two STI 1911's I have retained for SS. I have to Colt 38 supers with Cobra's. But I am going major or 9mm, love 38 Super but just too expensive. Virgil is still one of three best gun guys in the world, and he and Sherry are honest and good people.

TY

Jon

• 5 months later...

the stock mags that came with my SA "loaded" 9mm work great, but there are no base pad holes, and after installing an Ed Brown grip screw mounted magwell, I cant slam my mag in because of the lack of the basepad. When I look at the magwell w the mag in it, it looks like a basepad will only stick out about an 1/8th". I only have one mag for the gun and was looking for replacements. I didnt even know the MFG was metalform. Does anyone know off hand what the tripp 9's go for? I would love to try them. great info. thanks!

Who makes the mag marked with MM and 8.8 on the bottom? Two holes in the base for attaching a basepad and a "crimp" rolled into the mag extending down the front of the mag - spacer?

Merlin.

Those are the Metalform Mags designed by TGO. They are also the mags you get with

a 9mm 1911 from Springfield.

The same Metalform mag also just came OEM with my new STI Trojan 9mm. I also purchased two more "STI" mags with the gun that are the same TGO/Metalform. I only have around 200rds through the gun so far this week, but they've been absolutely flawless.

I too would love to see a 10rd version but given the history I guess I better not hold my breath.

I ordered basepads from Midway, Ed Brown and Pachmayrs. I will see which I like best and go from there. - of course - both are on backorder... :(

Merlin,

Which base pads did you prefer in the end?

Just out of curiosity (and for possible future gun purchases): Is this only a problem if you're using factory 9mm ammo?

Is 10rd 9mm-loaded-long a no-brainer in any 10 rd 38 super mags? If not, which mag/load data/gun combinations work? Especially curious about which bullets and OALs to use.

• 4 weeks later...

I too would love to see a 10rd version but given the history I guess I better not hold my breath.

Has anyone tried using Metalforms orange followers in their 1911 9mm magazines? I think the follower could be easily modified to fit (cut a concave piece out for to miss the groove in the front of the mag), and would allow 10 rounds to fit. I tried just the 10 round Metalform 38 super magazines, but they allowed rounds to slide to the front, which can let one slip out occasionally. Since the orange followers are a little shorter than the stock steel followers, I think if you bought the followers from their website and modified them with a Dremel tool, you'd be in business. Anybody tried this yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...