Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Durability Of Fal Kit Guns For 3 Gun Shooting

TLD

I like the .308 and would like to play with it in 3 gun local matches (I say play because I'm not great competitor) I searched FAL in this forum and didn't get a feel of what guys are using.

I like to build guns myself, just because - AR's, AK's, and would like to try the FAL Imbel kits on the market now on a DSA receiver.

Does anyone have experience with the durability of this brand kit in match shooting?

An FAL on a good reciever is uber durable, and extremely reliable if built right.

They aren't hard to build, if I can do it anyone can. I built quite a few when I had that 'bug' but reduced down to one mutt that runs and shoots great.

I say go for it, you won't find a softer shooting 308.

I used to shoot an L1A1 in 3 gun. From a year with that rifle in competition- unless there is a pressing reason to shoot 30cal, like Heavy Metal/He Man class, the "right arm of the free world" is two left thumbs for 3 gun. I "built" that one from parts, it's not hard.

Yes, it is a soft recoiling 308, yes, it can be very reliable. BUT, if you are shooting against mouseguns, and there is no leveling of the playing field, you're just coming out of recoil when the other guys have already fired their second shot and moved on.

I sold my FAL and am building an AR rifle for those very reasons. If I were to go back to a 30, my first choice would be a FAL with an M1A a very close second. The FAL would likely be a new rifle from DSA, but the first mod would be to cut the reciever to it could accept inch pattern mags. Most of the 30rd mags I've seen were inch pattern. Stick with metric only would limit it to 20rd only. There are some 30rd mags for the M1A, but I don't have any direct experience with them. IF there was no power factor involved, then an AR platform in 7.62x39 looks very attractive.

JM951 speaks the truth about a .30 caliber rifle in 3gun. The mouseguns will eat your lunch while you are taming the recoil.

They are fun, but not competitive (in most hands) unless you are only shooting against other big bore rifles (HM division).

The ammo ain't cheap to burn either.

I shoot a STG58 that was built from a kit by Arizona expert arms. I've used it in several local matches and plan to use it in the smm3g match next week in AZ. It works great and recoil isn`t to bad for a 308. But I would only use it in heavy metal class, not against those 223`s unless its just for fun in your local club matches.

Steve

If there were Heavy Metal/He Man classes in the competitions around here, I'd still have my FAL, but we generally don't. Since my finance minister has directed tha the homestead defense budget cannot be increased, something had to go to make way for the AR program. After much sentimental agonizing over the FAL program, it was decided to drop it in favor of the AR. While it's waaay cool to put a major thumpin' on steel with the 30, I'm tired of giving up mucho time to the ARs. Time to switch. When 30cal becomes a viable reality over on this coast, I can always still go M1A.

Even so, if you have access to matches that have HM classes, you'll like the FAL and will find it's a very good rifle. Just because it's a kit doesn't mean it won't shoot. When you get right down to it, all guns are kits, the question is who assembled them. If you start with good components and take proper care, you can build a very satisfactory rifle. The main issue to look for in a FAL is correct feed ramp geometry in the receiver. If that isn't spot on, you'll have no end of feed problems. Good luck on the build.

I like the .308 and would like to play with it in 3 gun local matches (I say play because I'm not great competitor) I searched FAL in this forum and didn't get a feel of what guys are using.

I like to build guns myself, just because - AR's, AK's, and would like to try the FAL Imbel kits on the market now on a DSA receiver.

Does anyone have experience with the durability of this brand kit in match shooting?

Lemme fess up right away & say I'm a Brit Army trained FAL weapons tech & a FAL addict (I guess that's what you call it when ya have 60 of 'em right??? :blink: ) so I may be a little biased...

Nonetheless, I can only echo what has been said thus far, the .308 isn't competitive side by side with the .223. However, in He man class, it's the best bang for your buck bar none. Parts are readily available, it can be built to pretty much any configuration you want & you can get into one a darn sight cheaper than any other semi .308.

Having worked on literally thousands of L1A1's (inch gun) & used one in combat, I would & have bet my life on a FAL type rifle. Just as with any other rifle, there are certain tricks to getting the rifle to run just right, none of 'em are rocket science tho'.

I know you say you want to get it modified to take inch mags for the 30 rnd mags but many He man comps restrict you to 20 rnd mags anyway. The inch 30 rnd mags can be readily adapted to metric configuration with a dremel & the 20 rnd metric mags are a darn sight cheaper & more readily available than the 30 rnd mags. In addition, the 30 rnd inch mags *may* suffer from feed problems due to the construction of the spring.

I don't know if you are aware of the Fal Files Forum or not but pretty much anything you want to know about the FAL as well as some very good deals are there.

Find it right here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php?s=

Last word: be careful of the kits currently on the market, they are the last & not the best of the FAL kits that have been released. The R1 rifles were rode hard & put up wet, bore condition is a crap shoot & the furniture can also be in poor shape. DSA has some Stg 58 kits in a LOT better condition for not a lot more money, they might be a better buy. Any other questions, help, advice or build problems just shoot me a PM or email. Good luck & welcome to the FAL addiction....... :D:D

Using metric mags in an inch rifle isn't a problem, going the other way is. The issue is the size of the locking lug on the mag. It's much narrower on the metric mags. On the inch mags, it's far wider. If a metric receiver is cut for the inch mag, it's no problem using both. Start with an inch receiver, and you can use either with no issue.

That said, there were some "inch" receivers that were made domestically that weren't quite up to spec and metric mags would wobble and not feed reliably. The key to any FAL build, as with any other rifle, is a good quality receiver to start with.

+1 on the current kit quality. I'd go with a kit from DSA and get a much better parts set than a ragged set from someone else. I've seen some of the current sets coming out of SA, and they are really, really questionable. Pay a little bit more and get a good barrel, decent furniture and an overall better quality kit. As much fun as I had building it, For time savings, I'd go with a built SG58 from DSA or even a new production rifle.

I really liked my FAL, but it just wasn't competitive on this coast. I have a NM M1A to use so, the need to keep the FAL was outweighed by the need to go with an AR platform. Either way, good luck with the FAL, they can be great rifles.

I shot my DSA SA58 FAL in a local 3 gun match last weekend and had a blast. I usually shoot open with a race AR, but shot Limited with the FAL. Not very competitive (in my hands), but it does take down steel and Texas stars with authority, and the fun factor is well worth using the FAL. I think I will use one of my Garands in the next 3 gun, again for the fun factor.

Old Blind Squirrel

• 3 months later...

I made the mistake (well, not really, just broke) of using a Century Inch recevier with my L1A1 Indian kit. Even though it's an Inch receiver. Century made it so it accepted metric mags.

I for one am a fan of the FAL rifles.

Give me an FAL or AK anyday.