Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 20 Rounds In A Cz Ts Magazine

ihatepickles

I've got 4 of the older Delrin TF basepads and they fit 19 (barely) with the stock spring and no retainer plate (18 with the plate installed). Now I wonder if I should try the new aluminum TF pads or has anybody got feedback on Angus's new basepads? Is either that much better to be worth the money?

I've got 4 of the older Delrin TF basepads and they fit 19 (barely) with the stock spring and no retainer plate (18 with the plate installed). Now I wonder if I should try the new aluminum TF pads or has anybody got feedback on Angus's new basepads? Is either that much better to be worth the money?

If you subscribe to the theory that more rounds is better... :) seriously the new TF's fit better in the magwell.

Much more info on the TF 2.5 basepad here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=46390&hl=

or just look back at page one of this thread.

I ordered one of Angus' basepads and springs, should have in a few days...

Middle man, where did you get the Grams spring & follower kit?

-Albert

From the CZ TS 2.5 Basepad thread

Experiment

Grams # FKS9-11 kit in a CZ TS .40 with Taylor Freelance 2.5 Basepad

Result

21 rounds. No retainer plate. Slide even locks back!

Summary

So the Grams FKS9-11 arrived and I installed the spring/follower kit in my TS mag with a TF 2.5 basepad (I left out the retainer plate). In short, it worked like a charm. The follower looks odd sitting in the empty mag and it looks even stranger when you load one round and it assumes what I can only term as a "10 & 2" position. However, the Grams follower is securely attached to the spring and I'm not too concerned with it doing anything funny. I was only able to load and hand cycle my CZ. Having run it by hand a few times, as well as, loading and unloading the magazine, spring, follower, base combo I am confident in the setup.

A mag with 21 rounds will not reload at speed. It'll be my starter mag, it's a tight fit under the mag catch with the new spring. The setup loaded with 20 should reload well, but I did not think to try that.

Does Angus have his basepads out now? Post your results comparing Angus's Basepad and the Taylor Freelance 2.5. I gotta get some and need to know which is better.

Thanks!

Angus has his basepads in stock here: www.ghostholster.com

The TF 2.5's can be had here: www.taylorfreelance.com

Check post #20 on page 1 of this thread for my TF 2.5 & Grams kit combo.

My order from Angus is scheduled to arrive early next week. Outwardly, the two choices are aesthetically different and tackle the method of locking the pad to the magazine with two very different solutions.

Edited by Middle Man

I just went ahead and just ordered 5 of Angus's pads. Hope they work out well. I couldn't wait for your review lol.

What, finally someone with less patience than me??? :D

Just got my new basepads & springs from Angus this afternoon. Perfect fit and loaded 20 rounds with no problem and use of the new tab is a huge convenience in compressing the spring and removing the pad for easy cleaning. I can't wait to try it out in a match. I'm going to need to get more. Great design and works with my slightly modified Makfakta magwell.

Anyone who picks these up will not be disappointed.

I'm already planning on getting more to replace my modified TF basebads.

No offense intended to Robin Taylor's basepads, which I have 4 of that were modified and in use currently, but these new aluminum basepads from Angus/ghostholster.com/CZ? are a huge improvement.

I know August (ogiebb) has been recommending the longer springs from CZ-USA, and maybe the ones Angus is selling with these basepads are the same thing, but for any of you that are looking for a well fitting 20 round capicity basepad should not need to look any further.

I almost went to Matthew Mink to get him to build me 20 round magazines utilizing the Taylor Freelance basepads, but I had 4 working already at a reliable 19 rounds each with one that was modified to 20. I still may get those just to compare.

I'm glad I was patient and waited for these basepads.

I appreciate the effort of others though and if Middle Man is successful with the Grams follower and spring in getting a reliable 21 rounds that would be even better. That might be the next thing to try.

Who knows, maybe a combination of the Grams spring/follower kit and the new Angus basepad could possibly yield 22 rounds!

I won't be able to try them at a match as Sunday is Mother's day and IDPA on Saturday would frown upon 20 rounds to start let alone the TS with ghost holster. Maybe when Middle Man gets his he can also post a report, especially if he matches the Grams follower and spring with the new basepads.

Whew, I'm so releived I made the right decision. I figured I did having talked with Angus on the phone about them when they were in development but having someone compare them side by side is golden. Thanks for the review Albert!

Whew, I'm so releived I made the right decision. I figured I did having talked with Angus on the phone about them when they were in development but having someone compare them side by side is golden. Thanks for the review Albert!

No problem, you made a great choice.

BTW, I just realized that I might have the Grams spring and follower (mine says it's FKS-11) that Middle Man has been working with that I thought was for the 40S&W and I tried it w/accompanying spring and stuffed 21 rounds. Wow, 21 + 1. I plan to try a few different combinations. Maybe the new TS spring w/Grams follower might yield 22 +1.

The 21 + 1 was snug and took a little more force to seat, and was stated earlier might be a good starter mag, but not reliable on a reload due to swelling the mag.

I wonder if this new retainer plate may work in the Taylor Freelance basepad.

The TF 2.5 base & Grams kit setup will load 21 but I'm having mixed results with 21 feeding 100% in the mag. I am very happy with 20 rounds in the mag plus one in the chamber, one additional round is really just dead weight.

I received my basepad and extended CZ spring from Angus today. Put it all together and loaded 20 rounds no problem. 21 might come after the spring has been used a few days. I did have some problems with the retainer plate preventing the magazine from dropping free. Seems the top edge of that tab can wedge itself tightly against the edge where the frame and magwell meet. A file to the top edge of the retainer plate in Angus' basepad was in order. That along with some reload practice with a full magazine knocked down a high spot on my magwell right where it meets the frame seems to have remedied the situation.

Experiment

Result

Summary

So the Grams FKS9-11 arrived and I installed the spring/follower kit in my TS mag with a TF 2.5 basepad (I left out the retainer plate). In short, it worked like a charm. The follower looks odd sitting in the empty mag and it looks even stranger when you load one round and it assumes what I can only term as a "10 & 2" position. However, the Grams follower is securely attached to the spring and I'm not too concerned with it doing anything funny. I was only able to load and hand cycle my CZ. Having run it by hand a few times, as well as, loading and unloading the magazine, spring, follower, base combo I am confident in the setup.

A mag with 21 rounds will not reload at speed. It'll be my starter mag, it's a tight fit under the mag catch with the new spring. The setup loaded with 20 should reload well, but I did not think to try that.

Middle Man,

I'm curious as to why you chose the FKS9-11 over the FKS-11. I checked with Bevan Gram and he stated...

Hi Albert,

I make and sell both FKS9-11 and FKS9-13 Follower Kits. These kits are designed to fit STI, SV and SPS mag tubes that have spacer plates installed inside the tube. Internal dimensions will be about 1.200" front to back. This spacer plate is mainly needed to run 9x19mm ammo in a STI mag tube. The FKS-11 and FKS-13 are designed to use in mags without spacer plates. The difference is in the length of the follower, front to back. The 11 coil spring will work in mags that are 145mm long (with base pad attached) or shorter, and the 13 coil spring is for mags longer then 145mm.

Sincerely,

Beven Grams

So I'm just curious if there was a conscious effort to choose the FKS9-11 over the FKS-11.

I can't wait to test out the reliability of the 21 + 1 mag using the FKS-11 kit.

Experiment

Result

Middle Man,

I'm curious as to why you chose the FKS9-11 over the FKS-11. I checked with Bevan Gram and he stated...

So I'm just curious if there was a conscious effort to choose the FKS9-11 over the FKS-11.

I can't wait to test out the reliability of the 21 + 1 mag using the FKS-11 kit.

In a nutshell, the FKS9-11 will drop right in...

The 9mm follower on the FKS9-11 kit fits the dimension of the TS magazine body without any modifications. The FKS-11 kit for standard S_I magazine bodies has a longer follower. Those need fitting work to slide freely in the TS magazine (at least according to previous posters in the threads on this subject).

Experiment

Result

Middle Man,

In a nutshell, the FKS9-11 will drop right in...

The 9mm follower on the FKS9-11 kit fits the dimension of the TS magazine body without any modifications. The FKS-11 kit for standard S_I magazine bodies has a longer follower. Those need fitting work to slide freely in the TS magazine (at least according to previous posters in the threads on this subject).

I'm planning to get the Grams FKS9-11 kit to compare to the FKS-11 kit that I have and have not needed to modify to fit (at least I don't remember it I did and it doesn't look like I've altered it.

I thought I'd share a PM that Middle Man and I just had....

Yep the TF 2.5's use the plate and screws, but I wasn't initally wowed with the retainer plate on Angus' design after actually assembling the magazine. It caused some issues as you can read in my post.

I had one basepad (naturally the 1st one I set up) that worked flawlessly. The retainer plate settled to the bottom of the basepad and it accomodated 20 rounds and when I unloaded it, pulling on the tab removed the tension of the end of the spring and allowed the basepad to slide off. Now on the second one the basepad upon installing and removal was very tight and the retainer plate did not settle into the basepad right away and required a little coaxing. Also when trying to take the basepad off it took a little more coaxing to pull on the retainer plate. I'm guessing, although I've not double checked yet, that either the retainer plate or the back part of the basepad are not lined up correctly or there is enough variation between magazines to cause a few issues. I still think it's much easier than dealling with the 2 screws and plate of the TF 2.5+ basepads.

if this 21 round mag does become reliable it would be a great starter mag ....ahhh i can see it now 22 rounds to start a stage is always nice for those special stages that need it :P

• 1 month later...

Update for those who have to play under international (Standard Division) rules:

I followed Jeremy's advice on the Grams kit, and after having spoken at length with Bevin Grams on this subject as well, I'm pleased to inform you all that the FKS9-11 kit in the TS mag, will give you a (up till now elusive) reloadable 19 rounder with the CZUB +1 aluminum (box legal) basepad, and the spring cut to 9 coils.

Obviously, it's early days with regards to long term reliability etc etc, but it's all very promising so far.....

Thanks Jeremy and Bevin!!!

Edited by SouthpawG26

Update for those who have to play under international (Standard Division) rules:

I followed Jeremy's advice on the Grams kit, and after having spoken at length with Bevin Grams on this subject as well, I'm pleased to inform you all that the FKS9-11 kit in the TS mag, will give you a (up till now elusive) reloadable 19 rounder with the CZUB +1 aluminum (box legal) basepad, and the spring cut to 9 coils.

Obviously, it's early days with regards to long term reliability etc etc, but it's all very promising so far.....

Thanks Jeremy and Bevin!!!

You are welcome. Glad to be of assistance.