Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time To Use The Bullet Puller?

chickenfried

Hi guys,

Need your input on whether I messed things up. I went off the Winchester reloading data since I'm using their brand bullet and powder. I think I may have used too much crimp. Was going off the directions for the Lee factory crimp die, instead of comparing with a factory round, as I did with the OAL. Do you guys think these are okay to shoot, or is it time for the bullet puller? Only two hours for 80 rounds :P

I loaded 3 different batches using once fired brass, Win. 230 gr FMJ, W231:

winchester data, minimum of 5.4 grains, OAL 1.255 with a crimp of .465

then 5.6 grains OAL 1.26 crimp .465

and 5.8 grains OAL 1.265 crimp .465

Edited by chickenfried

Hi guys,

Need your input on whether I messed things up. I went off the Winchester reloading data since I'm using their brand bullet and powder. I think I may have used too much crimp. Was going off the directions for the Lee factory crimp die, instead of comparing with a factory round, as I did with the OAL. Do you guys think these are okay to shoot, or is it time for the bullet puller? Only two hours for 80 rounds :P

Chicken- have you done a search, there is a lot info on 45 loads. I'll check the crimp on mine when I get home from work tonite

Hi John,

I've done a search, I know I crimped too much. Just wondering if the too tight crimp is dangerous?

Chicken- have you done a search, there is a lot info on 45 loads. I'll check the crimp on mine when I get home from work tonite
Edited by chickenfried

What is the dimension of the case just behind the crimp? [say, halfway back over the bullet]

If it's more than .004 or .005 larger than the diameter where the crimp falls away completely, than you might have a noticeable increase in pressure. If it's .004 or less than you're probably fine.

Either way, your bullets now have a deep crimp ring so if you can get away with it I'd shoot them.

Edited by eric nielsen

Hi guys,

Unless these are max or near max loads, just go shoot 'em and back off on the crimp a little next time.

Thanks for the help guys. Found my mistake, I wasn't careful enough :( . I was looking at three reloading manuals, I decided on using the winchester data. But once I started reloading used the speer reloading manual data which was 5.6-6.2 for a 230 grain TMJ bullet.

Edited by chickenfried