Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max Michel Says

Bigbadaboom

I found teaching shooters with accuracy backgrounds (PPC/Bullseye) it's hard to get across that they don't need perfection to get the job done. For example sight pictures, you don't need that ideal 25m sight picure to hit a 5yd full target, so just see what you need. They don't understand, they've been taught the 'perfect' sight picture is the be all and end all of shooting.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found teaching shooters with accuracy backgrounds (PPC/Bullseye) it's hard to get across that they don't need perfection to get the job done. For example sight pictures, you don't need that ideal 25m sight picure to hit a 5yd full target, so just see what you need. They don't understand, they've been taught the 'perfect' sight picture is the be all and end all of shooting.

I tell ya, this was the hardest thing for me to overcome. Till I started shooting with a dot, I had a lot of trouble with intermediate range targets and over confirming the sight picture.

I tell ya, this was the hardest thing for me to overcome. Till I started shooting with a dot, I had a lot of trouble with intermediate range targets and over confirming the sight picture.

Hmm....I've been wrestling with exactly the opposite problem, lately. I wouldn't be surprised if my hits were better on 7-15y targets than closer ones, because I'm comfortable seeing a certain sight picture on those shots, and now have faith it's not faster/slower issue, but just an "is" issue.

With close targets, I'm shooting them like I used to shoot the farther ones, and not seeing much of anything, or not sure what I want to see, yet....It's all index, top-of-slide, and jerky movement. Not cool. But it's faster than I'm capable of shooting, however -- maybe the AMU is looking to recruit a 40-year old software engineer? :)

• 1 month later...

I will give you a quote with permission from my master but he requests if repeated he be given credit.

All speed comes from accuracy.

Ross Carter

It takes some thinking but he's right, the burned out ole fart.

• 2 weeks later...

after reading all the respose on speed vs accuracy, i agree with max to have speed...

i currently just got my a card because of my speed.. but because of my a card, i slowed down a bit and tried to see good shots and get points a lot more. i also paid attention more on setting up my gun, see if i can gain some advantage there. i recently ported 2 holes on my barrel.shooting 9mm in open and just put a tungsten rod. for 3 weeks now, i tend to over swing the gun because of the rod but now, i have adjusted to it but i feel that im slow in my stage time.this week, i willtry to shoot the gun with no mdification and focus on speed to see where i place on my local match.

Greetings fellas!

Seems to me all the greats have these (and no doubt other) traits in common.

They all have:

1. ...some natural athletic ability;

2. ...the ability to compartmentalize the pressure, internal and external, to perform;

3. ...the ability to self-analyse and correct performance errors - quickly;

4. ...the drive, and the means, to succeed; and

5. ...a personality that allows them to examine the perspectives of others and accept or reject them based on their merits, not their source.

What a privilege to participate in such a great discussion!

Good shooting all!

Pete

limited 10 A