Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop-in Barrel?

gunnyart

I need a new barrel for my Kimber Classic Stainless 45. I've searched the web and read up a bit. Some manufacturers (like Ed Brown) offer "drop-in" barrels. Is their any truth to their calim? Can I fit a barrel? If not, what will I have to pay a smith to do it for me? Any good recomendations on the who's barrel to buy? :wacko:

Thanks for any and all advice. I'm brand new to the forum and have found it very informative.

Is their truth tho their claim that they drop in? Yes, sort of. Given they are trying to produce drop in barrels that will work in a wide variety of different 1911's. Due to different production tolerences a drop in barrel my not drop into your gun.

As to who's barrel you wan't to buy pick your poison. Everyone has their own personal preferences but there isn't much difference between the high end barrels in terms of performance. If it were me I would buy an oversized Kart and have it fit by a smith. Why spend $150-200 on a new barrel is you aren't going to get the most out of it. YMMV.

Thanks, that's about what I figured.

After reading shueman's web site I really want an AET but haven't found a competent smith in the Dallas area. Also I'd like to have an idea how much this is going to cost me before I ship my gun off and have to wait a year to get it back. :wacko:

Find your gunsmith and tell him what you want to do. She/he may or may not prefer a certain brand.

Most of the name brand barrels have a good reputation. For your 45, Kart has a great following.

If you are real handy and read up on it, you might have good luck installing an "EZ" fit barrel. If you aren't shooting bulls-eye, this may be an option.

Dig into the search function and you will probably find some great info on barrel choices.

I spoke with SV and they aren't producing shuemman barrels yet and wouldn't install it in any guns other than their own so that was a dead end. I took the gun to a smith who seems to have a clue about timing 45's and he was very pleased with the results he's gotten with Ed Brown's barrels. I should have it back in my hot little hands in about 10 days for roughly $200. He claims it will out shoot the stock kimber unit which I must say shot pretty darn well. I'll post a follow up after I've had a chance to try it out.

By the way... What do ya'll think is the best way to break in a new barrel?