Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right Hand Numbness

I've recently stepped up my dry fire practice (about a week and a half ago), and shot a good 600 rounds over the weekend. On Saturday, and then again today, I've got some numbness in my pinky and ring finger in my strong hand, and I can feel some pressure in that side of my palm (bottom of the palm, w/ hand held out, fingers parallel to the ground).

I've had issues w/ RSI in the past from shooting (left elbow, typically). I'm concerned I might be developing something of the sort, here...

Any ideas on what's going on?? Could be a technique issue? Perhaps a grip pressure thing? I don't know what I'm pinching off, but... hmmm... :(

My personal experience is that it is definitely related to your previous RSI and can be resolved by buying a new gun :)

Can I get you to call my wife and explain that to her??? :lol:

Seriously! You weren't by chance playing with a new open gun were you?

In fact, yes. Almost all of the dry fire has been the singlestack .40, though. I'd considered the race gun "extra shock" factor - that definitely had an effect on my left elbow. This is something, new, though - right hand and all...

those 2 fingers of my right hand have been numb and tingly (at times) since I started shooting an open gun. today was especially bad since I shot a new gun for the first time yesterday. it gets better with use. A couple of things to try is switching bullets, if you use 115'2 try 124' and vice versa. Also, different comps have affected me as well.

I get that type of thing a lot. Shooting doesn't seem to aggravate it that much. Typing and drumming are more problematic. That's a lot of the reason I don't bang the skins a whole heck of a lot anymore. It can be downright excruciating, so I hope it doesn't get that bad with shooting. My chiropractor has made adjustments that help. Some of the stretches you'll find in a book on RSI will help. Anti-inflammatories can help too.

I'm going to try not to handle a gun for a day or so, for starters :) A trip to the Chiro is in order, anyway, so I'll get him to check it out. Took some Advil earlier - no real change.

After a little fiddling, I think it might have something to do w/ grip pressure and doing reload practice - been doing a lot of reloads in dry fire, lately. It seems to be agravated by reaching my thumb over to the button.

Also have an accunpuncture appt. coming up to give a whirl on it :)

Mike, I know what you mean re: typing and banging heads. Typing will cause problems in my right hand, too.... beating drums, my left elbow... ;)

I just read Jake's post in the Travis Tomasie reload thread about doing 10K dryfire reloads a week. I think my right hand just went permanently numb.... :wacko:

I toyed with the gun a bit earlier - reloads are definitely not helping the problem. Gah - the thing I need the most work on :) I'm adjusting my typing and mousing positions - appears I've slumped into bad posture on them. But, I think it's mostly gun related. Reaching for the mag release seems to be what's getting at my palm, anyway. Don't know about the finger numbness, at this point - they're not numb this morning...

Hmmmmm.....

I know who you guys are laughing at or with.... ;):lol: :lol: :lol::)

Hard to diagnose over the internet, but the little and half of the ring finger are supplied by the ulnar nerve. The most common area for this nerve to be compressed is at the elbow (the ulnar nerve is what causes the numbness when you smack your funny bone). The ulnar nerve can also be compressed at the wrist in Guyon's canal adjacent to the carpal tunnel. Cervical radiculopathy (pinched nerve in the neck) could present with some similar symptoms.

If rest, Tylenol or OTC NSAIDS (or the Chiro/Accupuncture/Psychic Surgery :P ) don't clear this up, get in to see an Orthopedic Surgeon/Hand Surgeon and have it checked out. If you notice weakness of grip strength, or if you have wasting of the muscles on the back of your hand between the thumb index, i.e. hypothenar atrophy (compare to the other side), I'd get in sooner rather later because weakness and atrophy are signs of more significant nerve involvement than numbness alone.

Thanks, John. No.. no atrophy or weakness, at this point. I'll definitely keep a close watch over it for those symptoms. I understand your, uh... hesitation for non-traditional remedies, as well... ;) I've had good success - but certainly don't consider them the only possible solution, or the only correct one :)