Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .223

novicegun

I'm starting to reload .223 on my 550. The problem I'm having is as the case is coming down after being charged the powder bar comes back into place and spills a small amount of powder onto the shellplate. After a few rounds it gets pretty messy. I'm using the large powder bar and going for 26 grains of H335. I'm also having trouble getting a consistent charge. I've loaded quite a bit of .45acp and have had no troubles. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Try waiting for a 2 to 3 mississippi count while the shellplate is raised all the way. This will allow the powder to fully drop and not still be flowing as you lower the case. Hitting the top of the stroke smartly before waiting for the charge to drop may also help by preventing any powder bridging slowing the powder flow into the case.

I think George nailed it. We are used to loading 8 gr max for a pistol cartridge and when you go to 25 + gr through a hole half the size or less, you need to consider the time it takes for that much powder to make the trip.

I have noticed with Varget that it helps to pause.

Everything they said about the slight pause to let the powder flow into the casing sounds like my own experience.

However, I am a bit concerned about your inconsistent charges. If, after you try the slight pause, you are still getting inconsistent charge weights, then check out the "powder measure problems" thread in "Dillon Reloading Equipment" here on this board.

My experience is that I get very, very consistent charge weights with Dillon's powder measures with most powders. Once in a while, I find an extruded powder that doesn't like these measures, but, even so, the weights are pretty close.

Bob

Edited by straightshooter1

I'm starting to reload .223 on my 550. The problem I'm having is as the case is coming down after being charged the powder bar comes back into place and spills a small amount of powder onto the shellplate. After a few rounds it gets pretty messy. I'm using the large powder bar and going for 26 grains of H335. I'm also having trouble getting a consistent charge. I've loaded quite a bit of .45acp and have had no troubles. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Try using the small bar, not the big one. The big charge bar is probably at it's minimum opening. You might be going to fast for it to fill completely also. I use H335, and there is no reason for that fine ball powder to vary, other than trying to go as fast as loading pistol.