Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 16.40

Nebraskan

As a first gun, what do you think of the Para-16.40? There are several for sale in my area running from $500 for gun and two mags to an almost new stainless LDA Ltd w. 4 hicap and several standard mags for $750. The thing that concerns me is why are there so many for sale used? It appears to be a disproportionate amount compared to other brands, at least on our club site. Are they not that good or are there just that many, so obviously more will be fore sale? I can spend more, but won't if I don't need to. (more $ for ammo)

Also, I was told that a Para can be used in limited, limited 10 and production and that it has a "decent" trigger pull for DA when used in Production. Is this correct?

Finally, I looked at the holster referred to me in my Left Hand post (Thanks, Interceptor). It looks like a great deal. I assume it will work for the Para, as it says all 1911's, STI and CZ clones 5"-7.5" long. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I have one for Limited and love it. BTW: Standard capacity mags hold 16 rounds. Brady bill crapola mags hold 10. Add Dawson extensions to the standard mags and they'll hold 21 rounds with no professional "tuning".

I'd go with the P16-40 LTD.

Prepare to hear how the Paras and their mags are crap from the STI/SV shooters....

I have no idea what holster you're talking about.

Edited by JFD

They are a good starter gun but generally require a lot more work to get them 100%. If you have a good gunsmith you're ok. If you can spend the extra and get a S_I do it and save yourself a lot of problems and expense. I shot one for a couple years and after EGW was done with it it ran great but for the money I put in to it I would have been better off just buying an EDGE from the start.

There's nothing wrong with the PARA but an Edge will/should require less additions or gunsmithing. As for a better deal than $1800+....There are a few places to get them but you can get a new one from brazoscustom.com for $1687. They're not the only place to get them though. I've seen retailers carry them new for $1644 at a gun show. You might even check the USPSA classifieds or the classifieds here on BE's site and maybe get a used one cheaper. You can shoot in L10 and Limited with this but not Production. If money is an issue then the PARA is fine.

I have gone through three Para 16.40s on my way to "B" class Limited. They have served me well and I don't regret the purchase of any one of them. I have just moved on to a custom gun built on an STI frame. (I ordered it in October and received it this past Friday. Needless to say I am riding high on a new-gun buzz.)

Perhaps the reason there are so many for sale is because they are so widely used. :)

If you don't find one you like where you are, I have two for sale. :):)

My father has a 16.40 that he has been using shooting with me on practice days. The only problem to me is the trigger. The pull is pretty light, and the break is very clean, but the reset length seems way to long for me. other than that its an excelent gun. Controls are well laid out, and its big enough for my hands, which is rare. Accurate too.

The Para is usually a good choice, especially for starting. Not as good as the STI and will need more tweaking, but you can. If you start with a Para P-16 LTD, you will want to eventually add the following:

Magwell $75-$100

Fiber Front Sight: $30-$50

Trigger Job $75 with stock parts, $150-$200 w/new

Lighter Recoil spring: $5

Mags w/extended Basepads $75-$100 each

There are others, but those are the most common.

Do just like you're doing, take time to find the setup that will make you happy. Show up at a match and ask to shoot a tricked out Para or smooth S_I.

Don't settle for something you didn't want, you'll blame every "charlie" or "mike" on it.

I shoot a Para 16-40 Limited with a few add-ons and she runs straight and true. A well tuned gun is a blast to shoot. You're not nervous in the box, you're excited to unleash the weapon and stay behind the front sight running the stage.

Regardles of how much money you're looking to drop, take your time and be confident in your decision.

Safe shooting.

I think the reason that so many end up on the used market is that they are a good starter gun for the money ...however most top shooters are using STI or SV in limited so at some point as a new shooter looking up to these GM's carrying trick guns ...well you just have to get one also ... the only way to pay for a NEW STI or SV is to SELL ALL YOUR Para's and any other gun you might have laying around.

It takes 3 used Para's to pay for ONE STI

If your in this sport for the long haul ... get the STI

I have never heard the words "I should have bought the Para instead."