Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Try Plasti-dip On Grips?

bw31

Was looking for a suitable adhesive to glue on some aluminum oxide powder on my grip and came across Plastidip.

http://www.plastidip.com/industrial/plastidip.html

Its some sort of rubber compound that they use to coat tool handles to make a non-slip surface. On their website, they suggest mixing plasti-dip with some abrasive to make a non-slip surface.

Anyone try this on thier guns?

I haven't used it but it seems like it would be a lot thicker than plain old skateboard tape. If thick is your goal that might be okay otherwise you can get skateboard tape to stick for a LONG time if you spend the time to apply it correctly.

-ld

I purchased my first open gun (used) with this stuff on there. i liked it very much, nice soft feel. I called the previous owner and asked him what it was and how did he apply. He told me it was a tool dipping solution for making rubber handles. he also diluted it with mineral spirits then applied with a brush. when thinned it didn't go on too thick.

however, after three years of use it started to get slick so i'm sure another application was warranted.

i say go for it and have fun.

I got tired of changing the skateboard tape on my Miculek wood grips and decided to try a different approach. I sanded off the old finish back to bare wood and then got a small pint can of varnish. I added a good amount of the stair grit that you can buy from Home Depot for painting stairs and added this to the can of varnish. I mixed it up well per the instructions and then used a small foam brush to paint it on the grips. I think I also applied a second coat. The advantage is that it somewhat retains the old wood finish appearance and it allows you to get the grit into curved areas where skateboard tape does not want to stay. The coating has lasted well through several years of continuous shooting and looks as good as the day I applied it. I think it gives more grip than the skateboard tape.