Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Used 9-major Brass

Kory

I have had a few shooters tell me,

"I wouldn't pick up nine brass here, to many 9-major shooters"

I am yet to have any problems with the undoubtedly small percentage (but growing) number of 9mm cases that have been subjected to a 9-major loading before I found them.

Is this something I really ought to be concerned about? I load 9-minor only, but I pickup brass that wasn't mine originally.

Yesterday a fellow 9-minor shooter that hits the same ranges that I do, and probubly picks up pretty much the same brass had a few primers fall out. They were all the same headstamp, I have a sample to know what to avoid. His experience got me thinking and prompted this thread, so what do you think?

I had the same concerns. I tracked the reloading and got 3+ reloads, that said, I find one reload is generally o.k. (= 3 times fired). BUT also, I've gotten to the point where I can "feel" a loose primer going in and just chuck the shell. I really havn't had a problem with mixed headstamps?. Funny, I always come home with more brass that I've shot as a lot of shooters will give you their once fired brass, if they don't reload. Can't say that about 38 Super!. Only had 1 loose primer that came out and had ???? how many reloads on it(of course, it jamed up the gun). I'm only shooting round nose FMJ's. I use Win. small rifle primers and either #7625 /or/ Sillouette powder. I actually BOUGHT once fired, "plated" + P brass for use at major matchs for 1.5 cents, ain't it FUN! mike g

I had the same concerns. I tracked the reloading and got 3+ reloads, that said, I find one reload is generally o.k. (= 3 times fired). BUT also, I've gotten to the point where I can "feel" a loose primer going in and just chuck the shell. I really havn't had a problem with mixed headstamps?. Funny, I always come home with more brass that I've shot as a lot of shooters will give you their once fired brass, if they don't reload. Can't say that about 38 Super!. Only had 1 loose primer that came out and had ???? how many reloads on it(of course, it jamed up the gun). I'm only shooting round nose FMJ's. I use Win. small rifle primers and either #7625 /or/ Sillouette powder. I actually BOUGHT once fired, "plated" + P brass for use at major matchs for 1.5 cents, ain't it FUN! mike g

I read somewhere that +P brass is no different than standard brass, they only stamp it +P for load designation purposes.

I wouldn't load random range brass for 9x19 Major or 40cal Major. Too risky.

Loading to minor you still have the issues of cases swollen at the back end, short case length which can ruin accuracy and mess up ignition, and loose primer pockets.

Get some once-fired is my advice. Reloading your own brass - if you can keep it separate from everyone else's - that's [usually] good to 5 or 6 firings.

Edited by eric nielsen