Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's Needed To Reload For Rifle? .223

PistolPete

I just ordered a JP Rifle and think I will be reloading for this caliber. I need to know what accessories I'll need to get this done because I'm new to the rifle game. I currently have a Dillon XL650 and I know I will need the obvious:

1.) Press

2.) Dies (quick change kit)

3.) small rifle case feeder plate

4.) brass, bullets, primers, powder

What else will I need to reload for .223? Will I need a case trimmer? Doesn't the rifle brass expand more than pistol? Will this be needed or can I do without? Will I need a deburring tool?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pete

You will need a case cage to help set up your sizing die. Depends on the trimmer and bullets you use you will have to debur the cases. You may get away with deburring if you are using boat tail and are not looking for the most accurate load. Hope this works for you.

As to a trimmer, the short answer is yes. That being said, lots of shooters don't have one, simply buying sufficient quantities of brass that, when the day comes that trimming is a requirement, they simply dump that brass and load a new batch.

That can be done by buying some of the processed military brass that is sized, trimmed and the primer crimps removed. A thousand is pretty cheap and will last a long time assuming you start with a hundred or maybe two and load those, shoot them, reload, shoot them, etc. Probably by the third time or fourth for sure, they will need the trim job.

You could throw them away and have lots left to load.

On the other hand, being frugal, I trim. I currently have three Dillon trimmers, one for 30'06, one for 223 and the third for other calibers. I am thinking about a Giraud for an additional one.

I shoot a lot. I am very careful about my brass. Many reloaders, especially match shooters trim with EVERY reload. Easy enough with the Dillon trimmer.

The Dillon trimmer sets you back $175 (so much for my big talk about frugal-glad my wife doesn't read these threads as I tell her how much I save with my reloading hobby).

You can get away with much cheaper trimmers-but they are more work and take LOTS more time.

I recommend getting the thousand trimmed and sized military once fired and, after you are comfortable with loading rifle, get into trimming with the Dillon or, if you find you don't shoot zillions of rounds, just throw the brass away when trims are necessary.

Good luck,

Bob

I have a Gracey trimmer with the Giraud carbide cutter. It trims and deburrs the inside and outside of the case at the same time and really saves a couple of extra steps. You can do a pile of cases in a short time. If I had to do it over again I would buy the Giraud. The Giraud was not available when I bought the Gracey. You can easily change calibers with his. The Gracey is not easy to change. Go to www.giraudtool.com for info. They are pricey but are worth the money if you need to trim a lot of different brass. The Dillon Carbide dies are worth the extra cost and work great.

Old Blind Squirrel B)

What you need to reload .223 is to not know where to buy good ammo for under $175/thousand :P

If you can get good 55gr fmj for that price or less, there is little reason to reload for a 3gun AR unless, like me, you are a glutton for punishment, or want to run heavy bullets, or both ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well put George. I was going to load my own 3-gun 223 until I priced it out. I used to enjoy loading for USPSA for just pistol, until it became more like work. Now I would rather spend 3 or 4 cents a round more to let the factory do my loading for the rifle. For heavy bullets, Black Hills 77gr MHP at $14 per 50..

Mike