Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Loads For 230gr Lrn

jm951

I've used the search function and can't come up with an answer. Is anybody out there shooting Precision moly coated bullets in 230gr out of a Glock? I was thinking about using Clays or HS6 for this round but am open to other powders and I would like to make major in my G21. So, what say yall?

Yes, I want to try Precision's moly coated bullets in my Glock. I've shot cast in many guns with normal rifling and am very aware what happens when cast bullets are pushed too hard.

Gman, thanks for the info, primer? Resulting vel?

The problem with lead in Glocks has little to do with pushing the bullets too hard. The top pressures for .45 ACP are just high enough to start obturating the base of a 92-6-2 hard cast bullet and well below hard cast bullet pressure limits.

That said, I have had fairly good results with 4.2 to 4.4 WST under hard cast 230gr. bullets in my S & W 625. VV-N320 is also a good choice.

Check for pressure signs, clean your barrel often, and be careful.

Chris

i think most folks will advise against using any type of lead bullet in a glock barrel...it doesnt really matter how hard or what its coated with.

WST is good for precision bullets though. soft shooting low smoke and pretty clean.

BTW i like the federal primers in the glock...easier to set off.

also i would buy a KKM barrel to shoot the precisions out of...just to be safe

Another vote for WST. Although I usually shoot the 200 gr RN Precisions with 4.8 gr WST, I have shot the 230s. 4.4 WST in a Kimber, Para P14, or SA 1911 works just out to around 170-173 pf.

I agree Glock + lead = BAD. A barrel swap is cheaper than a new gun or injury. But if you must shoot them in a Glock, lower the starting charge weight as Glocks almost always have higher velocities with any given load. I would start around 3.5 gr.

After about 20K rounds of molly coated through a couple of G35's I can mention that leading has not been a problem - run a brush through the barrel when it needs it like anything else.

For the 45 take a look at WST - a very good powder for the ACP.

Thanks for the info, looks like WST and Fed primers will be my starting point.

I'm shooting a G21 and I have several friends who also shoot Glocks and use coated/plated lead bullets with no ill effects. The key is to keep the velocity to a sane range and use a slower burn rate powder along the lines of Zip or 231. I think the faster burn rates can impart a strong impluse to the lead bullet and that can obturate the bullet more than the slower powders and lead to leading. (How's about that alliteration?) Anyway, the really important thing to remember when using any coated/plated bullet in a Glock, or any other firearm for that matter, is to monitor barrel conditions and not to get caught up in the high velocity game. I'm looking for accurate, somewhat clean and to make major.

Again, thanks for the responses.