Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Spring

Chris

Anyone know if reduced power springs, say 10 - 12 pounds exist for a G35?  All I can find are 13's and up.

Right now I'm running an 11lb. 1911 spring and I had to cut that to get it to cycle all the way.

Thanks

Well,.. Wolffe sells 12lb, have you tried them?  www.gunsprings.com

I used their 12lb spring with a few coils cut off in my G20 10mm at Area 1, no problems.

As far as the slide comming out of battery, that depends on what weight striker spring you have in there....

(Edited by TDean at 7:12 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

Quote: from TDean on 9:11 pm on Feb. 1, 2002

As far as the slide comming out of battery, that depends on what weight striker spring you have in there....

(Edited by TDean at 7:12 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

Explain, please.  Wow, something else I didn't know about.....

When you cycle the slide and it starts to come foward, the rear tang of the trigger bar is engaged by the striker's leg.  About .25" before the slide moves to it's full "in battery" position, the striker spring is compressed (pre-loaded) I'm measuring about 3.25lbs of force required by the recoil spring to accomplish this (with a reduced power striker spring).

Now , when you pull the trigger, the tang on the trigger bar is further compressing the striker's spring.  This increases the force trying to move the slide rearward against the force of the recoil spring.

You can see that with a heavier the striker spring (stock),  more recoil spring force is required to keep the slide "in battery".

We are probably talking 3-5lbs is needed to keep the slide from moving as you compress the striker spring (pull the trigger).  But this is when the recoil spring is at its most relaxed state, is it applying that much resistance?  What if you cut a few coils off?

With my un-altered Wolffe 14lb recoil spring, I'm measuring 10lbs of force required to start to move the slide rearward.  So I'm good!

Cruise over to Glockmeister and you can probably get a pretty good idea of what kind of pull your Glock trigger setup requires.

They have listed the peak pull required with different trigger combinations.

Might figure in a little drag from slide to frame friction as well.

Cool thread.

I was too tired last night to think this through..... So hypothetically, if you lighten the recoil spring enough, you might have to go to a reduced power striker spring as well, in order to keep the slide locked in battery?  I realize you might never get a recoil spring so light that this could actually be a requirement, and I'm already running reduced power striker springs in my match guns.

I'm running a 4# firing pin spring too...But I was told that my trigger would be mushy unless I change the trigger spring to a lighter one hmm I don't know but I like what I have...as far as a lighter recoil spring I bought a few extra stock spring/guide rods and started to cut till my gun cycled then cut 1 more coil to be sure...

why all the hassle? Because I shoot idpa ssp and you not susposed to change the recoil rod...and I'm shooting gamer loads...LOL

sno