Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Shell Strippers

dghboy315

are California Competition Works' 12ga shotshell strippers still the best on the market? either the 4 or 6 shell strippers.

the reason i ask it that i've been trying to get some shell strippers to attach to my molle chest rig. for about 5 months now, i've been waiting for SO Tech to send me some calif comp works strippers w/ molle attachments. they have them on their website and they kept saying it would be done in a few more weeks. well, they just call yesterday and said that they could not make it work. to say the least, i'm going to call them up and give them an ear full. but this still leaves me w/ no product.

i've decided to build them on my own. so, are the CCW strippers still the best to build them out of, or is there any new tech on the market? i have a few CCW strippers and i like them, i just wanted to know if there were any choices out there.

also, any one have any ideas on how to build a molle compatible shot shell stripper? i was just thinking of either hot glueing or screwing in some malice clips on the back of the stripper.

thanks all

If I had a choice I would ALWAYS go with the regular Choate carriers, Or the new aluminum ones that Tewlman makes. The California Comp work holders need LOTS of spacers as they are molded for 3" shells not the 2 3/4". I hate them, don't like them, detest them....etc. Regular Choates can be had through Bushmaster, or Choate direct! The MOLE part I don't know about, but I would stay away from CCW. KURTM

As KURTM said, stick with Choate carriers. For the interface between them and Alice clips have a piece of ~ 2" wide webbing that is length of the width of the belt clip on the carrier and double it over and have the ends sewn together. Then you can slip this loop over the belt carrier and also run Alice Clips through the loop to interface the carrier to your MOLLE loops. Good Stiff webbing will keep them from wanting to sag and bounce around.

Hope this helps...

I've been on a ninja-type gear kick lately. I am going to get one of those AR15 mag pouches that have molle attachments on the front and back and I'll be attaching either a pistol mag holder or a CCW shell holder (depending on the mission :) or stage requirements) on the face of the pouch. The stacked configuration would free up some belt space and I'd probably just leave it on the belt and I'd have an ammo holder for two guns on at all times without double the real estate.

The doubled over strap band is a good idea.

But I was thinking of using the TT Malice straps and the nuts and bolts used for holster attachments. In the past I've used the nuts and bolts method to attach to the CCW holders Tek-lok attachments.

I plan to drill a holle through the TT molle straps and CCW holder and countersink the holes on the CCW holder. In past mods with the Tek-lok I have just drilled the hole and left the nut on the surface. No problems with them that way but the countersink would be cooler.

The drilled TT malice clips would then be attached to the CCW holders with a washer and bolt.

That's the plan anyways.

I honestly don't think the glue method would be as durable.

Also the CCW holders (due to the extra width) have the capability of being used as AR15 mag holders. They can be used for bullets rear carry on 30's. Due to the over insertion tab, bullets front carry sticks up more. The Choates aren't wide enough to use as such. But if you don't need the flexibility (able to hold 2 3/4+ shells and doubling as an AR15 pouch) the Choates are the better way to go.

Mine are adjustable on the width to accomodate the variance in 2 3/4 shell lengths. They will not fit 3" shells though, not that anyone around here would have a use for them. I will have to agree with kurt too, I detest the CCW model ;)

now that i've finished reading your original post, let me tell say that you could remove the teklok for the back of my holder and mount it wherever or on whatever you wanted.

i have had some similar ideas, have some of the california comp works.... not had any problems with spacers yet. if i do i'll epoxy them! I have been thinking of a molle attachment too. kind of nice to have modular equipment. not sure how much i'll use it but always cool to have! and a good tac vest is easy on easy off so you only really need to wear it when shooting :)