Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Got Dqed Yesterday.

Cjblackmon

I've seen things happen, people get DQed for an AD or dropping their gun, but it never really hits home until it happened to me.

We had this course of fire where we had to open a door (strong hand) go through it and pop 3 targets from a couched position under a platform. I swung the door open and ran through, grabbed and unholstered my gun, oh wait it's tumbling in front of me in slow motion (oh Shiiiiiiiiit). It's like, how can you do something so dumb as to drop your gun? I felt like Barney Fife with my eyes buggin out of my head and my $3000 STI covered ( and I mean COVERED) in dirt.

A buddy of mine (who was also the RO) said as I went through the doorway, the butt of my gun hit the doorframe. I guess in retrospect I really shouldn't trust the Ghost Holster that much. I guess a lesson learned. By the way I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA for about a month, that's why I didn't think too much about the Ghost Holster (I shot IDPA the day before and you have to use a full length holster). That's how I got stupid with the Ghost Holster.

If the Ghost isn't locked ("full" lock or "race" lock), you can knock the gun right out of the holster by banging it hard on the heel of the gun. With it locked, it's awful hard to get it out of there - no little bang into a door frame is going to do it. It might move around a little bit, but it's not going to leave the holster.

I can also cause my 012 to lose the gun, especially with the tension set low - but it requires the opposite impact - up on the front of the gun (you do that one by, say, sitting down, and having the chair bump the front edge of the magwell. My old 1st gen Limcat was vulnerable in this fashion, as well, if you didn't have it locked.

Don't know about your Ribas, Merlin.

Heh -- I feel your pain. Only DQ I've ever had was from more or less the same thing: new CR-Speed holster, this past Fall, and one stage required running to a door and opening it...The thing that still irks me a tad, is the RO suggested strongly not drawing until through the door, since some folks had been close to crossing themselves....I wouldn't have crossed myself, and would have been just fine, drawing and running, but I wanted to be agreeable. Tis my nature.

I didn't lock the holster. I took off running. The third step, and I noticed the pistol float out, onto the ground. :(

Leaves an impression. Ever since, I've been super conscious of it.

Been there done that and got the T-shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Area 4 2004!!!!!!! Ghost holster!!!! Stage 5!!!!! 2 stages into the match!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I shit my pants, the gun hit on the hammer and I was looking at the barrel!!! I LOVE MY GUNSMITH!!!!

The guga ribas is just like the ghost in that if it's locked, the gun isn't going anywhere.

It also has the safariland-type adjustable tension if you want to unlock and crank down the tension. Of course if the gun drops, it's still shooter error. Should have cranked it down more :)

I wouldn't take a single step with a ghost unlocked even though the gun will stay in the holster through more than I would have thought (mine has the pin). It's too easy to unlock during the draw to take those kinds of chances.

Of course it takes more than a month to learn those kinds of things. It was certainly a good learning experience.

I love my Ghost AND my Guga Ribas. My wife confiscated my Ghost and gave me a great reason to buy the Guga :D

I've lost my Para out of my Ghost three times, but it wasn't the holster's fault. Once I hit the gun while dealing with a prop and it popped out (unlocked). The other two times I wasn't careful holstering and the ball didn't engage - the gun just fell right out. Gun unloaded all three times, lucky me, though I did have to replace a Bomar.

A custom squared trigger guard may have something to do w/ what happened.

All the same, love the holster.

My wife DQ'ed during her first big match, Ohio sectional, last year. As she was told by everyone that talked to her...

"There are those that have and those that have YET to."

I will tell you one thing though, you most likely wont make the same mistake twice, I know she hasn't.

I finally got all the crap out of my STI tonight, and aside from the nicks and scratches, it's good as new. What a mess to clean (Dry dirt, rocks and sand)! Yeah it was a lesson well learned. Next time I'll keep my hands on the gun befoe I move!!!!

Edited by Cjblackmon

I know I shit my pants, the gun hit on the hammer and I was looking at the barrel!!! I LOVE MY GUNSMITH!!!!

There's a comedian on XM Radio who has a great routine on this subject.

A guy is telling a story and says, "I LITERALLY sh*t my pants!"

The comedian says, "Wow, you REALLY sh*t your pants?"

The guy replies, "No, I didn't REALLY sh*t my pants. I just LITERALLY sh*t my pants. "

The comedian says, "That's what "LITERALLY" means, you dumb *ss!"

I could say I understand your pain.

A while back I built a real nice Open 9 Major for a new shooter. (New to IPSC gear anyway) I loaned him a nice and safe "CR Speed" holster with the Arredondo platform for his first try at IPSC fun.

The RO calls him. He is very excited at all this new found fun! He turns on the C-More, takes a sight picture, loads and locks ... and proceeds to insert the gun in the holster ... locates the arredondo platform with the muzzle and brings the trigger guard back to "grab" in the lock/hold ... but doesn't quite engages the catch !!!!

He swags his body in slightly to get a confortable stance ... and down comes the gun.

Darn it. DQ'ed on his first try, without even taking a shot. His face turned very, very red. It took several months before he got the courage to try again.

I could say I understand your pain.

A while back I built a real nice Open 9 Major for a new shooter. (New to IPSC gear anyway) I loaned him a nice and safe "CR Speed" holster with the Arredondo platform for his first try at IPSC fun.

The RO calls him. He is very excited at all this new found fun! He turns on the C-More, takes a sight picture, loads and locks ... and proceeds to insert the gun in the holster ... locates the arredondo platform with the muzzle and brings the trigger guard back to "grab" in the lock/hold ... but doesn't quite engages the catch !!!!

He swags his body in slightly to get a confortable stance ... and down comes the gun.

Darn it. DQ'ed on his first try, without even taking a shot. His face turned very, very red. It took several months before he got the courage to try again.

Wow! That had to be very hard on him especially being his first time. Aside from my hurt ego, the guys that I shoot with at Wyoming Antelope Club are some of the nicest guys to shoot with, and were really nice about it, everyone came up to me and said that they did it at one point or another. It made me feel better.