Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck Primers - Help Needed

bmadsen

Hi

I need help! I have about 80 WSP primers stuck inside the tube of my Dillon RF 100 :( When I tried to fill the primers into my press, only about 10 came out the tube. When I turned the tube upside down another 10 or so came out the other end. But the rest are jammed inside the tube. What do I do?

Scrap the tube. You must have a little crud in the tube and they jammed on it. You MIGHT be able to push them out, but if you set one off they ALL will go off and the chances of getting hurt are really really good. Not worth the risk for a couple dollars.

Oil ruins pimers =use oil

Take the tube off the press, sound like you allready have. Now spray WD 40 into the tube spray alot to 'soke' the primers. The oil will keep the primers from ever working and you can us a rod to ush them out. Wait at least 3 to 4 hours for the oil to do its thing.

If in dout pull two round dump the bulet and powder. = just need two shells with only primer. spray the WD40 into the shell case wait at least 5min more is better and load it in the gun and drop the hammer on it. the primer will not work.

Call Dillion too.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Whatever you might use to try to kill the primers needs to kill all eighty with certainty. You'd have to literally fill the tube end to end with the WD40, and even then I'm not sure I would risk jamming something hard into the tube.

I'd spray them, but just to reduce the chance that they'll go off as the tube goes through its journey to your local landfill.

Short version: dump the tube and get a new one.

If the RF tube is anything like a regular primer fill tube, clean it periodically with some rubbing alcohol on a 22 patch. The yellow stuff that comes out is priming compound, which, in sufficient quantities, could cause malfunctions and also is both toxic and explosive.

Thanks for the replies.

The WD40 trick crossed my mind, but I’m worried that not all primers will bee “deactivated”

Right now I’m most partial to throwing the tube in a fire and run like he..

But I’ll wait until I’ve heard from Dillon.

I used to have problems with primers getting stuck in primer tubes on a regular basis. I'd blame it on the tubes, I'd blame it on the primers, I'd cuss and complain...

Then I realized what was causing the problem.

I have a Dillon 650, and it has the little primer catch pocket where primers that don't get seated for whatever reason collect.

When reloading I'll occasionally come across cases with crimped primer pockets, so they come around and get set down on the primer next in the primer plate. I can feel when that happens and pull those cases out when they come around, but the primers they come down on collect in the little pocket.

Being cheap and not wanting to waste anything, I used to collect those primers and toss them into my primer dish..... bad idea.

Thos primers are all just slightly deformed, and they won't slide freely through the tube. Plug it up every time. So, now I just throw them away.

Andy C.