Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Grade Barrel

JZ

Is installing a match barrel in a Glock worth the money?

Is the gun really much more accurate then the factory barrel?

Also is it better to buy a barrel that drops in (Reliabily Question) or a barrel that needs to be fitted?

Does one caliber like the 40S&W get more accuracy out of a replacement barrel than say a 9mm.

This is for guns (G34 and G35) that I will only be using in USPSA production and limited 10.

Please let me know about any problems or success you have had with after market barrels and Glocks.

(Edited by JZ at 7:58 am on Mar. 21, 2002)

If you are just look at the accuracy aspect, especailly for our action psitol games, then don't worry about it.  The stock Glock barrels are more than accurate enough.

Put the money saved on a new barrel into something else....like a training class...or primers.

I've always thought Glock's stock barrels were terrific.  The only good reason to switch is if you wanted to shood lead or wanted to put on a comp.  You'll come to love the hammer-forged rifling for its ability to go forever without gunking up.  I've never had a shot in IPSC yet where the Glock barrel was a limiting accuracy factor, but I'm sure as soon as someone sets up a course with 40 yd head shots, I'll feel differently.

Unless you have a special application, I'd save your money.

My $.02,

Eric

i kb my 24 all i lost was the barrel. so i  got a kkm barrel. good barrel but the chamber was a lot tighter and my reloads didn't work and wasn't as reliable. had to polish the chamber to get it to feed. and the stock barrel was more accurit. wished i had got another glock barrel.

I bought a barsto drop in for my G20.  My stock barrel actually got higher velocities than the barsto with the same load.  The accuracy difference was very marginal at 25yrds.  With the right load my stock G20 can put 3" groups at 50 yards from a rest.  Save your money!  

Here's another question.

The Glock 35 barrel (40s&w) isn't fully supported which causes fired cases to bulge a little bit on the bottom. Even after resizing them with my 550 they are still not 100% and I wouldn't trust them in a match. Is it worth replacing the factory barrel with a fully supported aftermarket one to eliminate this problem or can it be corrected with the proper resizing die.

Skeeter, How did KB your 24 barrel?

JZ -

Do a forum search for resizing .40 brass.  There's a huge thread that goes through this.  The most common solution seems to be a special small base die from EGW.

Basically, reloading for a .40 Glock is problematic because of the bulging issue.  This is one very good reason to buy a fully supported Bar-Sto and stuff it in your G35.

From a safety standpoint, I wouldn't reload brass from a .40 Glock until I had both the supported barrel and the die that fixes the bulges.  In fact, personally, I would toss the bulged brass from the get-go.  It's just a dangerous situation, and the preponderance of the evidence is starting to indicate that sooner or later, the stuff is going to blow.

I shoot 9mm, so I don't have any direct experience with .40 yet.  But, to date, I have never had a single brass-related failure.  This is with brass loaded 5-10X at 140+ PF.  If you haven't bought your blaster yet, guess which caliber Glock I'm going to recommend...

My $.03,

Eric