Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester

Middle Man

As far as I know Winchester Ammunition is a completley different company.

USRAC (Winchester branded firearms) is the one in the crapper. Olin Corp (Winchester branded ammmunition and reloading componentry) is profitable and still going strong.

The company that owns USRAC also owns Browning. So there is a good chance that some of the Winchester rifles will still be made, just a different place???

Olin sold its powder to Hodgdon.

Olin is still going strong producing loaded ammunition, primers, and brass.

Olin, long ago, got out of the rifle business and FN acquired the license to the name Winchester and it's long gun blue prints.

What an educational thread.

Proof that the price will reflect what the market will bare. Unfortunately Winchester had to make some tough decisions - but as a consumer I take responsibility for that as well.

My latest hunting rifle wasn't a Winchester. Haven't bought one in years to be honest. Always seemed that there was something a touch better out there - possibly at a better value . . .

It is interesting to me to see how consumers react to business decisions when it is in fact the consumer that drives most business decisions.

I'm big on this environmental kick these days. Love doing things that help make this place a better place for my daughter when she's my parent's age. The thing is, it's tough. And expensive. The reason why though is because we as consumers have chosen a more distructive path for the sake of convenience and wants (oh yeah, I'm guilty too). It makes changing things, from a business sense, extremely tough to do.

I feel for Winchester. Their management is accountable for what they have done, what they are doing, and what they will do.

Believe it or not, capitalism as we see it today is still so very rough. We think because it has been successful that it is a system that works - but if you look at the longevity of how business has been traditionally done it doesn't really have any teeth. Business will continue to change as will consumption patterns. New business models will emerge. I suspect in the next 100 years or so we'll begin to finally see what running a successful, sustainable, business (and economy) will look like. Until then, sad stories like this one will become the norm versus the exception.