Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mmc blacksight or heinie?

spook

What are your experiences with these sights? I don't carry my glock and I want to use the sights for IPSC limited or prod. on a G17.

Will the mmc work loose, since it's an adjustable and has this weird allen screw locking system?

I am looking for a non glare sight picture with a not to bold front sight (.125" max).

Which one should I buy?

Spook,

I haven't tried the MMC's.  No experience there.

My G35 currently wears a set on Heinie slant pros.  I didn't care a lot for them when I first got them.  Then a thined the front sight down from the stock .125 width to .115.  That helped quit a bit.  I then milled/drilled a little divot into the face of the front sight.  I put some white enamel fingernail polish in the divot to make a white dot.

I am a happy camper now.  In fact, I will be giving a couple more glocks the same treatment.

Oh, I also like the clean sight picture that the Heinie's offer acrossed the top of the sights.  I think that is important.

I shot a 34 with MMCs for almost 3 years. I just recently went to a set of plain Heinies with the rear notch opened up to .145.   I wish I had never bothered with the MMCs.

The MMCs are three dot config. Let me know if you want them. I'll let you have them cheap.

Why don't I like the MMCs anymore?  The front sight is too wide and the rear notch isn't wide enough. Both are .145 wide.  I also had a problem with aligning the front sight with the "ears" of the rear sight, and not the actual notch, causing me to shoot high when shooting a stage.

IMO, opening the rear notch is easier than narrowing the front. That's why I'm still running the standard Heinie front sight.  

In their favor, I found the MMCs to be very well constructed and very durable.  Just not the sight picture that I wanted.

I agree with Matt.

I have the standard Heinies on my G35 and I opened the rear to .140.

I have seen some people have problems with the rear sight when using Heinies. They don't seem to want to stay put. I have not had this problem.

The Fix seems to be to drill and tap the sight for a set screw to seat in the dovetail.

Quote: from Singlestack on 6:28 am on April 23, 2002

I have seen some people have problems with the rear sight when using Heinies. They don't seem to want to stay put. I have not had this problem.

Same here. I hope to God I never have to take that Heinie rear out.  It almost never went in!

• 2 weeks later...

Flex,

The white front sight doesnt bother you when you shoot white steel?   I had a white front sight and I would lose the frnt sight in the white of the steel and couldnt shoot it fast...  I'm looking to get another back sight thought instead of the stock sight. I currently have a Dawson Fiber Optic front sight, that I love, but I want to get something better on the back any help would be great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mark L

Just to clarify...my front sight isn't white.  Mine is black, serrated, and has a white "dot".  It looks like a standard Glock sight...just cleaner and more compact.

I don't lose it on plates at all.  I really don't focus on the white dot.  It is a reference.

I don't think I have ever (bold statement) lost a plate due to my black front sight with the white dot.  The contrast works on white plates, black plates, yellow, blue, red...in the shade, shadows, or in the bright sun.

Don't get me wrong, I have lost plates.  But it was due to me...the shooter.  I lost a plate at my last match.  It was a single white plate, which happened to be in front of a white wall, at a decent distance.  

I lost that plate due to the fact that my focus was in the wrong spot.  I was following my front sight around while swinging the gun (did it the whole match...no wonder I didn't feel smooth).  Instead, I should have been leading with my eyes to the next target.  (call shot on one target...shift eyes to the next target, the gun follows the eyes...as the gun comes on target, shift focus to the front sight)

That's my story...

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:18 am on May 15, 2002)