Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple 650 Q's?

I finally had some time this weekend to set up my new XL650 press, which arrived early in the week (thx Brian!), and crank out a few rounds of .40.

I must say -- it's pretty unbelievable how quick and effortless the process is: the SDB was nice, but this is a different animal. The priming is so smooth, I keep pulling shells out of the plate, to make *sure* there's actually a primer in there!

A couple quick q's?

I'm using the Lee 4-die set, and the lock-rings that came with the press....For the resizing die, the only way I could lock it down was to put the lock-ring underneath the toolhead. I saw some reference to this issue with the 550B series presses, so I figure same deal?

The instructions say to screw the blue plastic wing-nut onto the failsafe rod until the end of the rod is even with the 'wings.' I had nasty problems with the powder bar not returning, until I cranked the wing-nut much tighter than that -- so that there's actual pressure on the spring: I figure this is right?

Is there a simple way to "end" everything? I like to leave the machine empty of primers when I'm done, but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to stop the cases from feeding, if they're already in the clear plastic tube. I guess one just turns off the casefeeder 25 rounds, or so, before running out of primers?

Thx, Steve

I'm using the Lee 4-die set, and the lock-rings that came with the press....For the resizing die, the only way I could lock it down was to put the lock-ring underneath the toolhead. I saw some reference to this issue with the 550B series presses, so I figure same deal?

It's not a big deal the way it is. If you want to set it up "conventionally" then get some Dillon lock rings. They are smaller and will work on top of the dies as usual.

Is there a simple way to "end" everything?
Just stop. All I do is stop and throw the cover on top to keep "little hands" out of the machine when I'm not around.

;) Dud you got a new press, right? now is the time for a new 'system' = just make shurr you stop at the same place every time = I leave the last few primers in the feed and leave the brass drop with some in it = label the powder and leave the rounds in the shell plate. cove it up after the power is cut off to the brass feed.

Don't worry

B) Forgetabotit B)

I bet you don't go to five matches a month,, yet?

If you leave some brass in the loader it will help it 'cool down' better

lee, rcbs, etc, I put the lock ring on the bottom.

blue plastic wing nut, I don't know if it's the right way to do it, but I alway have some spring tension on it.

and to stop, primer alarm goes off, turn off case feeder, load till I run out of primers, pull clear plastic drop tube, dump brass, out, remove tool head to dump powder out, put everything back, and cover. takes about 5 minutes.

The blue wing nut should be tight enough so tht when you push forward on the handle to seat a primer, the coil spring above the wing nut should be compressed about 1/4-1/3 of its length.

Regarding the short threaded dies, such as older Lee and Lyman, try adjusting the die without the lock ring on the die. If at least 1 thread is visible above the toolhead, then there is sufficient exposed thread to lock the die in place. It isn't necessary to have any threads visible above the top of the die lock ring.

Personally, I like to make sure the shellplate is clear of cases when I finish a reloading session. Usually I turn off the case feed switch , and run it dry. If I run out of primers before the shellplate is empty, then I manually remove the cases and throw them back up into the case feed bowl. This way I am starting from scratch, and much less likely to have forgotten a step somewhere. :ph34r:

It's not necessary but if you want to empty the primer system simply take your thumb and cycle the chrome lever on the primer system until it is empty.

I adjust the fail safe spring so that it compresses about 1/2 when the operating arm is fully pushed back.

Edited by calhunter