Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses

DJPoLo

At today's match, first-time competitor, James H. was hit in the glasses with a piece of another shooter's bullet jacket. It cracked the lower lens and frame of the glasses and ricocheted into his upper cheek. I'm sure if he hadn't been wearing them (and he was about 35 yards behing the stage loading mags) the damage to his eye would have been tremendous. :o

NearMiss.jpg

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

I've donated blood a couple of times this past year, but nothing that looked as bad as James does in your photo. Once on the forearm and once on the shin.

This is a good reminder Chet - thanks. On a similar vein, those of you that reload without your glasses on are also at risk. I'm trying to reload with my glasses on all of the time too.

Rick

A similar incedent a few years ago changed my perception on glasses.

Shooting a match at an indoor range, a piece of jacket from an ajacent range hit me in the eye while taping targets. The ranges are separated by a cinder block wall but the backstop has a small gap in the corners.

I wear perscrption glasses and the piece of jacket hit the corner of my left eye. Didn't do any permanent damage but now I wear a pair of "birth control" style glasses with thick frames and side shields adapted from an old pair of Gargoyles.

Not fashonable, but neither am I. :lol:

John the range you described where you were hit in the eye with a piece of jacketed material sounds exactly like Pine Tree in Rockford. I was shooting there today and will be there again tomorrow.

Are you shooting the WIIT? I'll be working the shoot. If you are there say hello.

How about Area 5 and the sectional in Holmen (LaCrosse, WI)?

Rick Ingle

Clay1 on the boards

Last year at the W PA Sectional I was standing there talking to 3 other folks about 8-9 yards behind the start position and got fragged by a shot on a popper. Felt this sharpe smack like I got stabbed looked down and my shin was bleeding. Not the same as a hit around the eye but definitely got my attention.

Great reminder to wear glasses.

Up until this last shooting season (2005) I was wearing only my small-ish perscription glasses and I didn't feel safe with them on at all. I decided to take the plunge and get some decent safety glasses that would actually protect my eyes. I'd bet if what happened to the gent above would have happened to me (with my smallish perscription glasses on), I could very possibly be without a right eye!

But I owe it all to Julie Huseby (a local shooter--and a very good one at that) and the Bolle glasses company.

For those of you that have perscription glasses, check out the Bolle glasses with the perscription inserts. They are wonderful. Mine came with several different colored lenses that will cover about any shooting situation. The best part about them is they are large enough to protect my rods and cones.