Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Conversion

JunotFranco

Buy, another top unit for 40 cal, that's only way it will truly work.

Plate assembly with powder drop locked in place. You can move the measure between the different plates.

550B owner 1990 to 2016.

3 hours ago, JunotFranco said:

Quick question. I have a Dillon 550 setup for 9mm, what do I need to order to make it a quick change to .40 without changing my 9mm settings?? Thanks!

You'll need a new tool head, powder measure, powder drop/funnel/expander for .40 S&W, .40 S&W dies, & #2 brass locator buttons. The shell plate is the same for 9mm & .40 S&W. They both use the #5 shell plate so there is no need to change. You'll need to change the little brass locator buttons when switching calibers. 9mm is the #3 button and .40 S&W is the #2 button.  

(The quick change kit will include the powder measure, powder die, tool head, and tool head stand.  The .40 S&W caliber conversion kit will include a #5 shell plate, powder funnel, & #2 locator buttons. Since you don't need another #5 shell plate, you can just get a .40 S&W powder funnel, #2 brass locator buttons separately.)

When you have your 40 cal quick change all adjusted for your load, all you need to do to change between 9mm & .40 S&W is:

1) Pull the 2 tool head pins.

2) Disconnect the failsafe rod.

3) Slide out the tool head with everything attached.

4) Slide in the new tool head with everything attached.

5) Reinsert the 2 tool head pins.

6) Reconnect the failsafe rod.

7) Insert the appropriate brass index buttons. 

You can change between calibers and be loading within just a couple minutes. 

40 minutes ago, BJB said:

You'll need a new tool head, powder measure, powder drop/funnel/expander for .40 S&W, .40 S&W dies, & #2 brass locator buttons. The shell plate is the same for 9mm & .40 S&W. They both use the #5 shell plate so there is no need to change. You'll need to change the little brass locator buttons when switching calibers. 9mm is the #3 button and .40 S&W is the #2 button.  

(The quick change kit will include the powder measure, powder die, tool head, and tool head stand.  The .40 S&W caliber conversion kit will include a #5 shell plate, powder funnel, & #2 locator buttons. Since you don't need another #5 shell plate, you can just get a .40 S&W powder funnel, #2 brass locator buttons separately.)

When you have your 40 cal quick change all adjusted for your load, all you need to do to change between 9mm & .40 S&W is:

Thank you!!! that was very detailed!!

3 hours ago, BJB said:

This. I have powder measures set up for 9mm, 40 S&W, 38super, 45acp, and 38/357. The only one that takes more than a couple of minutes to change is the 45acp...and if I could find a ton of small primer 45 brass, it would take as long as all the others.

4 hours ago, BJB said:

The shell plate is the same for 9mm & .40 S&W. They both use the #5 shell plate so there is no need to change.

Damn, I never noticed that! All this time I've been changing the shellplate when changing between 9mm and 40 S&W! Now I feel like a dumbass!🤣

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

This. I have powder measures set up for 9mm, 40 S&W, 38super, 45acp, and 38/357. The only one that takes more than a couple of minutes to change is the 45acp...and if I could find a ton of small primer 45 brass, it would take as long as all the others.

Look for adds on the Cast Bullet web site for 45 sp because someone is mostly always selling it.  I switched years ago can't tell the difference, except it made life easier.

Just now, dannyd said:

Look for adds on the Cast Bullet web site for 45 sp because someone is mostly always selling it.  I switched years ago can't tell the difference, except it made life easier.

I hate changing the primer system around, so I don't load a bunch of 45 anymore...that, and it's damned expensive compared to the other calibers.

14 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Damn, I never noticed that! All this time I've been changing the shellplate when changing between 9mm and 40 S&W! Now I feel like a dumbass!🤣

Damn, me too!

Almost makes me want to go load some 40, since I have components, but I sold all the pistols.  Hmmm....

Would buying another pistol make me a dumbass, or a reloading enthusiast?... 🤪